Thread: Coming off Escitalopram?

Coming off Escitalopram?

I've been taking 10mg of Escitalopram for a couple months, and recently upped to 15mg. But really, i kinda want to come off completely..

It has helped a bit, but it also seems to make me tired and i have no sex drive. Does anyone else have problems, with low sex drive because of Escitalopram? or is that just in my mind..

I've been thinking if i come off Escitalopram and start exercising and being more positive it might work out better for me. But at the same time i'm worried my anxiety and depression will get a bit worse if i do come off

Re: Coming off Escitalopram?

I was on Escitalopram for 6 months and it just wasn't working for me, so I came off it. Actually, what I went through was cross-taper as I started taking Venlafaxine instead (gradually lowering Esc dose and increasing Venla at the same time). The problem with Escitalopram with me was that, although it was doing a decent job at decreasing the amount of time the panic attacks would last, it wasn't doing much for my feelings of depersonalisation, which is what I needed help with most.

With regard the sex drive, mine was lower, too, and I had problems reaching orgasm.
    I think you should try a different medication if this one doesn't work for you. There are lots of meds out there, and it's about finding the one that works for you.

Thanks for your reply Ana.

Yes the problem is that this one does work in lowering my anxiety and depression, so i do feel better on it in regards to anxiety and depression for sure.

But, the cons are that i feel more tired, have lower sex drive and problems getting an erection, and some weight gain.

I don't know if i should stay on it or not. I like how i'm less anxious and depressed, but the cons aren't very nice, especially at some moments.. Do you think there are anti depressants that don't lower your sex drive and make you tired, or is that just anti depressents in general?

I think most, if not all of them, have side-effects to varying degrees. What I've noticed is that these side-effects tend to be very similar in the majority of medication I know about. I couldn't tell you more as, before Escitalopram and Venlafaxine, I've only ever been on Zoloft, which didn't work for me either and I experienced weight gain and fatigue.

I'd say stick with it for a bit longer and see if the side-effects persist. Alternatively, there is no point in sticking with a medication you don't feel fully works for you.

Thread Information