Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections of the multimple rabies threads

Re: Reflections of the multimple rabies threads

Yeah, it was a 90s phenomenon here. I remember pulling some pranks at school with pictures of bat boy in people's lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yeah, it was a 90s phenomenon here. I remember pulling some pranks at school with pictures of bat boy in people's lockers.
    Aha, the culprit finally owns up!! Root cause established.

Yet again another place on the internet... That makes fun of somones fears. People come here for help not to be harassed. These excact sistuations is what triggered people to have issues in the first place. Good job guys.

At some point you gotta laugh about the irrationality of your fears; taking it all too seriously 24/7 just feeds the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloinreverse View Post
    Yet again another place on the internet... That makes fun of somones fears. People come here for help not to be harassed. These excact sistuations is what triggered people to have issues in the first place. Good job guys.
    True. It's only a few people though, not a whole membership. As a Magical Thinker I've had many weird thoughts within my anxiety but I've often found that some HA sufferers regard the usual cancer, brain tumour stuff as a more rational fear when really the same irrationality can be observed in those. An invisible bat or an invisible cancer, is there really much of a difference? The level of the associations being made seems to extend further in less mainstream fears but fear is fear and we all know how horrible it feels.

If we took this whole board outsie of an anxiety environment a more general public might be saying the same about all the cancer worries.

Apologies if my joke to Vee appeared insensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloinreverse View Post

Well, I had that crazy rabies fear back in 2003- And I tell you this - at one point you need people to riddicule such completely irrational fear - right in your face to help you REALISE how beyond riddicilous it is. A hard wake up call. Fearing rabies and brain eating vampires....sorry, brain eating amoebas it was; is, well....riddicilous. Looking back on my own fears I see that too. It is a wake up call. It is a part of the treatment. They need to hear it instead of sitting alone in their own creativ self-destructive bubble of irrational fear and making up scenarios. So riddiculing such fears can actually be done out of loving care and consideration.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    True. It's only a few people though, not a whole membership. As a Magical Thinker I've had many weird thoughts within my anxiety but I've often found that some HA sufferers regard the usual cancer, brain tumour stuff as a more rational fear when really the same irrationality can be observed in those. An invisible bat or an invisible cancer, is there really much of a difference? The level of the associations being made seems to extend further in less mainstream fears but fear is fear and we all know how horrible it feels.

If we took this whole board outsie of an anxiety environment a more general public might be saying the same about all the cancer worries.

Apologies if my joke to Vee appeared insensitive.

But cancer is real and it does exists, which can not excactly be said about air carying rabies and invisible bats. But I think anyone, including me, needs in-you-face harsh treatment if the fear is going to far and creativity takes over.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    At some point you gotta laugh about the irrationality of your fears; taking it all too seriously 24/7 just feeds the beast.
    Amen to that. The fact that people close to me, like my family, were laughing at my fears when it go to far helped me keep my sanity and not go to far of the rails.

People don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter how improbable a scenario is. The root cause of the fear is an anxiety disorder. Everything we fear is irrational and overblown. But it feels real at the time. That's how an anxiety disorder works. Doesn't matter if it's rabies or MS or any other rare disease. We KNOW the fear is irrational. If simply knowing could cure us then it wouldn't be a disorder and there would be no reason for this forum to even exist. But this forum is here for a reason. People come here because they're alone and afraid and everything feels wrong. There are plenty of fears that people express here that I don't worry about at all. But that's a moot point, because I'm not the one going through it; they are. No matter how unlikely a scenario seems to anyone else, it doesn't matter. Because it feels real to the person suffering. And they still deserve respect and empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by au Lait View Post
    People don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter how improbable a scenario is. The root cause of the fear is an anxiety disorder. Everything we fear is irrational and overblown. But it feels real at the time. That's how an anxiety disorder works. Doesn't matter if it's rabies or MS or any other rare disease. We KNOW the fear is irrational. If simply knowing could cure us then it wouldn't be a disorder and there would be no reason for this forum to even exist. But this forum is here for a reason. People come here because they're alone and afraid and everything feels wrong. There are plenty of fears that people express here that I don't worry about at all. But that's a moot point, because I'm not the one going through it; they are. No matter how unlikely a scenario seems to anyone else, it doesn't matter. Because it feels real to the person suffering. And they still deserve respect and empathy.
    Hve you read what I wrote? I have been through the rabies fear! I used to be ONE OF THOSE who irrationally feared rabies. That is why I can put myself in the siutuation and in retrorespect see how riddiciously irrational it is. As I have overcomed it I can view it from the side of people around me who saw it for the craziness it was. And sooner or later these people posting rabies fear will realise that too. You know; I have HA; I suffer it from it now; I fear cancer; but I also have SELF IRONY. Being able to laugh of my own madness helps me not to go completely of the rail. To stay human.
    So please dont tell me I dont know anything about the fear of rabies. I am a veteran in that department. I know EVERYTHING about it! I know how it was. And unlike most people here I was actually exposed to a dog in a country where rabies exist. So you can imagine.

I've never really understood why people who get their irrational fears criticised seem to get offended by it. Don't you want to hear that your fears are silly? Absurd? Ridiculous? Unfounded? Irrational in the extreme?

If you know your fears are irrational then that's great, but in that event, I have to ask, what is it you want to achieve by asking a question about a fear that you openly admit is irrational?

People claim to want "support" a lot, but I struggle at times to decipher what that means. I'm not going to tell anyone that their fears about having rabies are anything other than utterly ridiculous. I get that the fear is born from an anxiety disorder, sure, but the fact remains that fearing rabies is ridiculous.

I refuse to give that type of fear credit. Why would I? Anxiety is an ugly illness, and I'm not here to sympathise with it. I'm not criticising the individual, I'm criticising your anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    But cancer is real and it does exists, which can not excactly be said about air carying rabies and invisible bats. But I think anyone, including me, needs in-you-face harsh treatment if the fear is going to far and creativity takes over.
    That's your opinion which you are entitled too but you can't assume all sufferers feel the same way. If you treated me harshly you get it back in your face because I don't respond well to it from strangers. My family can talk to me that way because of who they are, not some username on an internet forum who may not care in the slightest anyway.

This argument never gets anywhere on here because we have preferences, if you like someone kicking your ass knock yourself out but kicking someone who doesn't may result in them kicking you back (something the kickers always get offended by), upset them even more and in some cases even makes them leave the forum.

I believe you need to know how a person feels about this before you wade in giving it "the big un". It's only the same as taking the piss out of someone. Do it to someone who likes it and you have a laugh. Try walking up to a stranger and doing it - you may need your teeth picking up afterwards though

Being blunt and being harsh have never been the same. But it's a pointless discussion on here until everyone feels the same.

As far as cancer goes - nope, I disagree. You are worrying about an imaginary cancer not a real cancer. It's another invisible bat but you choose to try to validate it simply because cancer is more real and more probable. But where are the real symptoms of cancer? Why are banged heads brain bleeds? Why are head aches brain tumours? Why would anyone fear cancer when they don't have the symptoms? They don't - only HAers do. The physical symptoms may be real but they are not real cancer symptoms, it's just seen as a bit more acceptable than in the invisible bat but the same links are being made.

Fear is fear. Whether it's about an imaginery bat (or ghosts or demons, for instance) or maybe your intrusive thoughts, it can still feel the same as fear over cancer.

I agree that fears are on a scale where they can slide towards the more imaginary but you can't argue someone's fear is more real in terms of being more probable when both are completely imaginery. Because a sufferer fears a deadly illness their fear is not more severe than someone afraid of changing a t-shirt (like me). Whilst my fears were often more "out there", they are no more real than a cancer worrier. You can reach the same severity with any anxiety.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 26-09-17 at 02:22.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information