Thread: can't cope with palpitations

can't cope with palpitations

Hi,

Does anyone else get different types of palpitations? Sometimes they will just feel like a light 'skip', sometimes I will feel them in my neck, but sometimes they will feel a lot harder (these are the scariest). I was lying in bed last night and I got an almighty 'woosh' of a palpitations which felt like my heart was coming out of my chest and it made me quickly jump up. Just before I my heart feel completely fluttery and out of rhythm for a second and now I'm terrified :(

Re: can't cope with palpitations

Just had a bad palp then...

Felt like my heart went to jelly for a few seconds, kinda fluttery but out of rhythm, different from a normal ectopic 'thud', anyone ever got this? I'm so scared

Scared, I had palpitations of every sort for years. Trust me, they're nothing but annoying responses to your heightened anxious state. There were times I thought I was definitely going to drop dead with them, but 20 years later, I'm still here and hardly ever get any. The trick is to tell them to sod off!! Literally try and refuse to be overcome by them and try and do as many calming activities as you can to ease your mind and thus lessen the impact on your nervous system. Just tell them to do their worst and I think you'll find that the fear you feel will begin to disperse gradually. Fear is just fuelling them. One day they will just go trust me!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for ur reply.. that does reassure me that u have coped with these for so long and nothing bad has happened, but equally I am sorry u have had to put up with them for so long!

Sometimes I feel really positive about them and then I will get a bad one and be back at square one.

I'm worried these fluttery out of rhythm ones that make me shoot up from bed are NSVT or VT. :(

I get these all the time at the moment and they drive me insane. I sit on the sofa and get up to make a tea and my chest is pounding?! Im literally at the point of telling my heart to chill the hell out.... I sometimes just do the breath in for 4 secs hold for 2 and release for 4 secs to slow my heart rate down... dunno if that will help?

Matt

I learned a lot about palpitations when I used to wear a little portable ECG recorder.

Fluttery ones may be several skipped heartbeats in a row. However, a single skipped heartbeat can also cause a fluttering sensation.

The theory is an early single heartbeat fired when the valves were partly open makes them flutter as blood is forced through them when they are in the wrong position.

So it can still be a single skipped heartbeat that you felt but even if it was several in a row, that's still not a problem.

Thanks for replying!

I can't actually tell if it was a single beat or a few because as I said, it just feels completely out of rhythm and strange for a few seconds. Hopefully it was just one!

Thread Information