Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared of taking new med from past experience

Scared of taking new med from past experience

Hi,

6 weeks ago I was given 20mg of Citalopram to take and had a really bad reaction to them. I was only on them for a total of 4 days but they made me sick, unable to eat or drink, Ringing in the ears and high panic attacks so I stopped taking them. I thought to myself il rather suffer with what I have now than go through that anymore.

Now I have been given 5mg of Escitalopram but so scared to take it. I used to be on this before a long time ago but manage to get off them. But now I am so scare of feeling the way I did on the Citalopram I just s keep putting it off.

Can anyone offer any advice? Have they been through the same?

Thanks

Matt

Re: Scared of taking new med from past experience

Escitalopram has fewer side-effects than Citalopram. It is, essentially, the new and improved Citalopram. The medication never worked for me (I'm now on Venlafaxine) but for different reasons, not because of the side-effects. The only side-effect I'd get with Escitalopram was nausea in the mornings, and it lasted for a week or two, which was annoying, but not unbearable.

I do, however, understand your fear of starting a new medication. It's like taking the plunge and you don't know how or if the medication will benefit you. Saying that, please remember that you can always discontinue taking it, it's not forever. This is to help you, and if it doesn't help, you try something else, be it another type of medication or something else.

Thank you Ana for your kind words. Its a mental barrier I will have to break before taking it and that is the biggest fear!

When it was time for me to pick up my Escitalopram prescription from my therapist's office (which is 5 mins from my house, btw), I started panicking so SO much I had to turn back midway through and go home. Try number 2 went better as I'd got home and had half a Rivotril to calm me down, though I still had unpleasant depersonalisation sensations, but I just gritted by teeth and did it... I understand you're scared because it's natural to feel the unknown.

I've been on 10 mg escitalopram for around 3 months. I too had previously been on them for 7 years. I had no side effects going on them either time, although I had insomnia the first week or so going on them.

They worked for my ocd in the past. However, the ocd I have this time round is a million times worse and so far, they don't seem to be fixing my ocd.

really? see I remember the first time I took Escitalopram 10 years back but can't remember if I had side effects or not?

Yeah I hope it helps with my OCD and just the stress the anxiety is doing on my body :( we shall see

The ocd I have this time around is a million times worse than I had when I went on escitalopram years ago. Escitalopram previously worked for me at 10 mg, but the 10 mg this time around is not touching the ocd and I have now been on it 12 or 13 weeks. Perhaps because my ocd is truly horrific this time.

20 mg here is classed as the therapeutic dose for ocd, but I am afraid of a higher dose. I went up to 20 mg this time on week 5 to week 8 (probably not long enough for the increase to take effect). I have been back down at 10 mg for this past month.

I am no better with ocd since I started back on the escitalopram. I know a lot of people find a particular ssri doesn't work for them 2nd time around, yet many find it does.

I finally plucked the courage and took my 5mg of Escitalopram. Lets hope they work for me and stop these shakes and stop this spaced out vision.

Wish my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MattZion View Post
    I finally plucked the courage and took my 5mg of Escitalopram. Lets hope they work for me and stop these shakes and stop this spaced out vision.

Wish my luck.
    Hi Matt I wish you luck, And is any one also receiving therapy on this thread as I believe there is no magic pill if there was I would be on them now, sure they can help but try and combine the 2 Cheers

Thanks mate I have doing CBT aswell I am determined to get back to my old self

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information