Thread: Can still feel lymph node on neck, is this normal?

Can still feel lymph node on neck, is this normal?

Hi there
    I have posted previously about the lymph node in my neck on the right side above my collarbone and I have seen several docs at the practice about it, the final one who suggested going for an ultrasound scan so that we could see exactly what it was. Think that was about 18 months ago (previous post about it was in April 2016). The chap who did the ultrasound was very nice and understood my fear (sadly my mum passed away with non-hodgkins lymphoma 19 years ago), so you can understand where I am coming from. He said that it was indeed a lymph node but too small to be of any concern, I think he said under 2cm. Of course I felt very relieved and haven't really thought about it since then. Unfortunately I decided to feel for it again a few weeks ago and it is still there, much the same. I thought it would have gone down by now so went off to the doctors again. Saw another doctor who said that he could actually 'push it back down again' or something like that, whatever that means? He also said that I had had it a long time and that recent blood tests (for something else) were all ok. Does anyone else have a lymph node on their neck that they can permanently feel. It's a bit like a sausage and squidgy, if I stretch my neck to the left I can't feel it any more? Don't seem to be able to feel one on the other side as pronounced? I just feel as if this is a ticking time bomb...!

Re: Can still feel lymph node on neck, is this normal?

I fist felt mine in March and had ultrasound done and a few doctors say they are fine even the ultrasound said non-enlarged lymphnodes. Mine are still here and still the same size but I was told that they are sitting in superficial tissue in this one area so I will always feel them.

Gosh that's interesting - thanks for your reply. I know there are a lot of posts on here about lymph nodes and it does seem quite common that some can be felt in the neck but I still worry!

I've always been able to feel mine (all over body)
    Everyone's body is different. Some can easily feel them, some can not. Slimmer people for example can obviously feel them more easily.

I am quite slim (I'm also aged 54) and I also think if I poke hard enough on the other side I can feel some too but not in the exact same place as the one on the right - I guess they can vary from side to side too?

It depends on the individual.
    A few other things to note.
    1) We're not trained professionals (I'm sure there is a whole unit in Med school on detecting suspicious lymph nodes lol) Probably several units
    2) In an anxiety state, our perceptions are affected
    3) You may only notice a node or a specific characteristic of a node/s now that you're conscious and worrying about them. Most likely they were always like that but you never noticed since they weren't on your mind.
    A few years back I was worrying about this node on my neck that was visible when head is tilted. After months of worry I came across an old picture of me that showed the same exact thing! I actually felt reassured for a few hours lol. But you see my point

Jane,

We have 400-600 lymph nodes in our bodies. At any given time, if you poke and prod enough you're bound to feel one or more. They're the sewer system of the body and react to many stimuli including poking and prodding.

Your fear is cancer.

Cancer in an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. Logically, in the year and a half since you've noticed it, it would have grown substantially right?

I'm a Stage IV Head and Neck cancer survivor. The node on my neck grew from just under 2cm to two nodes over 5cm in less than 6 months.

IMO, there's nothing wrong at all. You just happen to be able to feel a node. STOP POKING AND PRODDING! Than will only make it react. Poke and prod enough and it can become shotty (permanently swollen).

I understand your concern based on your circumstances but it's a bit on the irrational side at this point. It's not the fact you can feel the node, it's your reaction to it that needs modification.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fismanpa, you are right about my fear and I have stated on CBT now to deal with this fear. Only had 2 sessions so far ... by the way what does IMO stand for in your post?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
    Thanks Fismanpa, you are right about my fear and I have stated on CBT now to deal with this fear. Only had 2 sessions so far ... by the way what does IMO stand for in your post?
    It's "in my opinion" Jane. x

Oh thanks Annaboodle - how silly of me!

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Hi Canada67080 - thanks for your reply. Just out of interest what did you mean in point number 1?

Thread Information