Thread: Swollen optic nerve?

Swollen optic nerve?

Hello all, the other day I went to the opticians for a routine checkup. I went to the same place (specsavers) two years previously. Whilst there,they took a photo of my eye and my optician noticed that the optic nerve in my right eye is slightly swollen.
    (bit of backstory: I had optic neuritis 7 years previously but in my LEFT eye)
    Anyway, after much panic (on my end) he said he'd refer me to the eye hospital to check on it. However, despite having said before that i'd been there previously, it took him a while to realise such and to find my file from two years ago. Looking at the photos of the back of my right eye from two years ago and now,they are exactly the same: the optic nerve slightly swollen. Thus, he said there was no need to refer me

This satisfied me initially. Now, of course, i'm worried that this optic nerve swelling is something sinister. Of course I'm trying to tell myself that the optician was fine with it, it hasn't changed from two years ago, I was looked at by the eye hospital two years previously and 7 years previously as well...basically, am i being irrational and allowing my anxiety to take hold?

Re: Swollen optic nerve?

Since it's the same size and it hasn't gotten larger in 2 years, you are good. Your doctor wouldn't let you go home if he thought it was sinister, he could lose his license. Don't worry, it's just anxiety.

Thread Information