Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My ALS fears

Re: My ALS fears

Nearly all the stressors have been resolved. I've dealt with all the ones in my control. The main thing causing me stress right now is my fear that I have ALS

Then go get checked out and move on. Stop putting it off. Even if your appointment is two or three months out, it will come eventually and you can move on.

I agree. And maybe think about how you will feel and react when you are told you do not have ALS because tests will be pointless if you are just going to question their validity or read up about another test which would have been more specific etc etc etc

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I agree with AV and Pulisa - go make an appointment and end this dance of death. I'm sure your OH will fully support you.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks, all of you. That is the only rational way forward. I know that.

My thread was hijacked, but I'm going to just keep posting on it like it wasn't.

I saw the doctor last week and she did some tests on me, strength tests mainly and also reflexes, and said she didn't see any reason to send me to a neurologist at this point. I still have the feeling of awkwardness/heaviness/slowness in my hand and she thinks that he could be related to early carpel tunnel syndrome. I still do not have any clinical weakness. I also feel like I make more typing mistakes with my right hand than I do my left hand.

So for now she recommended that I limit my computer time where I can and wear a wrist brace at night to keep my wrist straight at least for that period of time. It could be a repetitive stress issue.

Thanks to everyone for your support here, I feel like I've been worrying a lot less. I'm staying off the Google searches, off the ALS boards, staying busy and healthy, and trying to understand that if this thing is going to come for me, well it's going to come for me and there isn't much I can do anyway. I did lay out a plan that I am comfortable with if things take a turn for the worse. So at least I have a little bit of piece of mind there. Accepting the possibility that whatever I am fearing could be true I think is the best way to take the teeth out of the fear.

ATL

This is great to hear, ATL. You could have been chasing more tests, panicking over whether things have been missed, etc but you are trying your best to accept it all.

I hope you contibue to find your inner strength, because you do have it, and keep moving forwards with your recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by atl View Post
    My thread was hijacked, but I'm going to just keep posting on it like it wasn't.

I saw the doctor last week and she did some tests on me, strength tests mainly and also reflexes, and said she didn't see any reason to send me to a neurologist at this point. I still have the feeling of awkwardness/heaviness/slowness in my hand and she thinks that he could be related to early carpel tunnel syndrome. I still do not have any clinical weakness. I also feel like I make more typing mistakes with my right hand than I do my left hand.

So for now she recommended that I limit my computer time where I can and wear a wrist brace at night to keep my wrist straight at least for that period of time. It could be a repetitive stress issue.

Thanks to everyone for your support here, I feel like I've been worrying a lot less. I'm staying off the Google searches, off the ALS boards, staying busy and healthy, and trying to understand that if this thing is going to come for me, well it's going to come for me and there isn't much I can do anyway. I did lay out a plan that I am comfortable with if things take a turn for the worse. So at least I have a little bit of piece of mind there. Accepting the possibility that whatever I am fearing could be true I think is the best way to take the teeth out of the fear.

ATL
    I’m glad you are dealing so wisely with your problem, i’m Sure you will be okay. I need to apologize since i was guilty by replying to someone on your thread who asked me a question. It’s very rude and no one should do that. Peace bro

No worries! Thanks for the message and I hope you are doing well too.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information