Thread: zoloft / sertraline and alcohol - 1 week HELP please

zoloft / sertraline and alcohol - 1 week HELP please

Hi

I recently started taking 50mg of sertraline daily on Wednesday the 30th of August. From the first day I took it I had quite strong side effects, I felt a mix of sad, scared, paranoid, even happy sometimes. I had very very strong nausea and felt a bit light headed and a bit like I was on drugs . It was almost impossible to sleep for the first few days as my brain would not switch off, I didn't sleep or eat much for 3 days and I was shaking and gritting my teeth. But since Saturday I have felt those side effects completely disappear and now I almost feel back to normal (physically), however I do find myself forgetting things a bit more than I used to, I assume this is normal as I haven't even been on them a week. Although there has been no positive symptoms yet (I was put on these for extreme social anxiety and depression) I am optimistic about this medication so I am going to give it at least a month . Anyway, I am going to Bestival on Thursday with my boyfriend and really wanted to be able to drink some alcohol. I feel fine about going as I know I am comfortable there and he is aware of my medication etc, I also feel fine physically. I'm just worried I will go crazy if I have a drink . I'm 21 and I drink normally with my friends at parties and stuff, I haven't drank in the last week or so due to the medication and work however I do feel like I will be ok to have a drink. I don't want to get really drunk, but it would be nice to be drunk enough to enjoy the festival like everyone else! Does anyone have any (fingers crossed positive) feedback about drinking this early on Sertraline/zoloft?

sorry if this post is a bit confusing and drags a bit, im new to all this!

Re: zoloft / sertraline and alcohol - 1 week HELP please

It's not recommended to drink with meds. They can increase your symptoms or have worse side effects.

Hi, I was sertraline last year. Out of all the anti depressants I've tried sertraline was the only one that had any effect on me. It didn't effect me in anyway when i had a drink. I'm not a heavy drinker though, I just like a few here and there. My drinking habits never changed at all while I was on them, and I never got any side effects whilst having a beer.
    Saying that, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to medication, I seem to build up a tolerance very quickly, and I can handle my alcohol very well. I can drink quite a lot without getting very drunk.
    I stopped taking the sertraline in the end, it wasn't really doing anything for me after a while.
    If I where you I'd just be careful. Avoid drinking heavily because you've only just started taking it. Have a few and see how you feel.
    You should really speak to your GP about though.

I'm on 50mg too and have been for several years. The only side effect I find when drinking if I get drunk real quick!

Should be interesting - I'm having a couple this weekend.

When I was on Zoloft years and years ago, I got very very drunk and was okay in the end. Definitely wasn't very cautious back then like I am now. I'm only looking to have a few beers. Still feel anxious about it - but I feel assured from much that I've read on the subject.

Now I think that if you were to have many spirits, or a plethora of beers, it can cause you to get drunk quicker. You should be fine with a couple beers!

Thread Information