Thread: Scared I have ALS

Scared I have ALS

Hey! Im a female in my late 20s and I've convinced myself I have ALS. I have been twitching everywhere from my tongue to my toes for the last 3 months. The tongue twitching has been going on even longer. I have no weakness through my body but I've noticed it is becoming increasingly difficult to breath and swallow. My speech isn't slurred at all. I saw a neurologist recently and and she said she really doesn't think this is ALS. I have an EMG scheduled for later this month but in the meantime I'm freaking out. Thoughts?

Re: Scared I have ALS

Twitching does not equal ALS. Everyone twitches. That's part of being human...and the expert, the neurologist, already gave you the all-clear. They're giving you the EMG to placate you.

Please read this!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks. I'm most concerned about the swallowing. It feels like my drinks are going up my nose but nothing ever actually comes out. I can blow my nose after drinking and there isn't any drink on the tissue. Can anxiety cause the sensation of drinks going up your nose?

Hiya twitchy, I sent you a pm

I had my EMG today(made popping noises like crazy) . I do not have the results yet but the neuro did tell me I may have a pinched nerve on both sides (she did my legs). I just got a call to schedule an appointment for a spine MRI. I asked the scheduler what it was for and she said the diagnosis on the form was muscle fasciculations. During the appointment the doctor said she didn't see need for further testing but would further review the results(does this mean it wasn't clean?). Should I be concerned that something changed her mind?

I think she said the NVC portion was normal.

Let us know what you find out. I hope all is clear with you Twitchy. I started having this fear a couple of weeks ago...twitching all over body but now it seems to be only localized in my left ankle...going to see Neuro next week.

Thread Information