Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you get perceived weakness or muscle fatigue from strength tests

Anyone know about huntingons disease. I have myoclonic jerks

From one day to the next I started having muscle jerks in bed. Started with a foot jerking one way, then my wrist moving on its own, my whole torso jerking as if someone pushed me, arm jerks and even a head jerk. It's been every night since. Some nights are worse than others. If I take ativan I either am in a deep sleep.and don't notice or it helps. It's making me feel like I'm dying. It's damaging to the mind when your limbs are moving on there own. It's only in bed. Twitches during the day. Seen the title of an article for involuntary muscle movements. I dare not read it. I came here instead wondering if anyone knows about it. Geez first als and now this. Scared to death to go to the doctor. Major doctor phobia. ..
    I'm so scared of leaving my babies, it's my worst fear and the basis of my ha. What would my husband do. No family to help really they all love elsewhere. He wouldn't be able to work and they would be homeless. My 8 yr old still hasn't gotten over his grandmothers death and he was 4 when she died. He would never be the same if somethi g happen to me. My 1 yr old would never know her mama. ������. So much pressure being a parent. Sorry for the rant but I have cried myself to sleep most nights. My mom is not a lot of help. She tires of my complaints and brushed me off. I won't even get in to my husband. He won't listen to me anymore. I'm very alone in this people. So alone I have a teddy bear I sleep.with at night with my mom's nightgown on it. My husband thinks I'm batty. But it's my way to cope. I need to feel safe. Hope you all don't think I'm crazy but I haven't had a really stable family growing up. Anyways, what is hungtingtons. Could I have that? Thank you to all who reply.

Re: Anyone know about huntingons disease. I have myoclonic jerks

Do either of your parents have huntington's? If not than there is 0% chance you have it. It is a dominant genetic disease where you only need one copy of the gene and everyone with this one defective gene gets it so if your patents don't have it you can't have it.

If you read just about the name of those jerks you mention you will see anxiety is a well known cause in one section covering them.

And these jerks are so common in anxiety disorders. There are tons of threads about them. I've had them myself and like others have said, they are worse when anxiety is high.

Do you mean if one of my parents had the disease or if one of my parents carry the disease I will get it. My parents and neither there parents or there parents had huntingtons. Does that answer my question? Thanks for the reply guys. This forum is the best. Like my new family.

I can answer because I am a child in a Huntingtons family. My father had Huntingtons disease, as did several of his brothers (my uncles) and one sister (my aunt).

This is a genetic illness. Basically, if you have a parent with Huntingtons, you have a fifty percent chance of inheriting Huntingtons. Those are the odds.

In the past, since symptoms often don't show up until mid-life, Huntingtons was often misdiagnosed. Today, most Huntington families have been identified since several people in the family will be showing symptoms.

Today, a genetic test is available to show if you have Huntingtons. However, many people in Huntington families choose not to take the test.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    I can answer because I am a child in a Huntingtons family. My father had Huntingtons disease, as did several of his brothers (my uncles) and one sister (my aunt).

This is a genetic illness. Basically, if you have a parent with Huntingtons, you have a fifty percent chance of inheriting Huntingtons. Those are the odds.

In the past, since symptoms often don't show up until mid-life, Huntingtons was often misdiagnosed. Today, most Huntington families have been identified since several people in the family will be showing symptoms.

Today, a genetic test is available to show if you have Huntingtons. However, many people in Huntington families choose not to take the test.
    Sorry to hear that Hanshan - hope you remain clear of any symptoms.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi KK77 - I took the genetic test some years ago and it came out clear, but this is a family illness - you can't ignore it in family members. Several family members refuse to be tested.

Can you get perceived weakness or muscle fatigue from strength tests

I have been really concerned about my myoclonic jerks and twitches. So i have been doing strength tests. Picking up bar stools, heavy bar stools with 2 fingers, tightening nail polish and opening it with two fingers, 3 fingered push ups, toes walking, heal walking, hopping on one foot, jumping up the stairs two feet at a time, you name it I'm trying it. Now i have muscle pain but I hope perceived weakness or muscle fatigue. What I don't understand is last year I would carry my baby in her very heavy carseat up and down a flight of stairs 4 times a day, and other heavy lifting and never felt or knew what a twitch was. Fast forward to now. Is it normal to have twitches that are new. Is it my nerves along with these strength tests. I feel fatigued now. My fingers are twitching now. Oh lord I cannot believe what is happening to me. I have a 15 month old who still doesn't sleep through the night. I am quite sleep deprived. I just don't understand how one day I'm fine and the next a headache and twitching. Scared to go to a neurologist. I'm serious I probably will faint walking through the door of the office. I'm 44 and I still have my mom come to dr. apts with me. Im a scaredy cat.

One thing I want to mention is that I'm in ativan. Been on for a while. I know it has a short life in your system, sometimes I take 1 mg and most times a half. Have I built up a tolerance and need more and that's why I have jerks and twitches. A week ago I went off it cold turkey for 3 days and I literally convulsed in my bed. My arms were jerking, legs, butt, teeth chattering, whole body jerks, neck jerks. I screamed for my mom because I thought I was seizing. It was horrible. That night I had gone to the movies and in the movies I started trembling uncontrollably and my teeth were chattering so bad I couldn't talk. My husband had to help me to the car. Needless to say Im back on the ativan. Still feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown. Sorry for the rant. Really scared I'm dying.

Re: Can you get perceived weakness or muscle fatigue from strength tests

Sincerely...what do you think?

Re: Can you get perceived weakness or muscle fatigue from strength tests

I've seen this here quite a few times before. It's not pretty knowing someone is this deep in the rabbit hole and IMO, nothing said in this medium will help :(

I recall being out shopping and saw a woman in one of the aisles doing some weird stand on the toes and hopping thing... My wife asked what she was doing and I knew right away from reading here, that this woman suffered from HA and was self testing for ALS!

ECoff, please... seek real life professional help! I know nothing said here is really going to satisfy your dragon. You mentioned on another thread about watching what you post. That's not true concerning your fears and worries BUT don't expect to get tea and sympathy from everyone regardless if this an anxiety site. There are people posting that have fought the dragon and are winning! IMO, the goal is to challenge your thoughts and get you to take responsibility and get help.

Frankly, at 44 with a 15 month old, you have quite a challenge and I'm sure a shitload of stress! When I was 44, my son was 13. Frankly, when I was 44, I know I wouldn't have been able to deal with a 15 month old even without anxiety.

Talk to your husband about what your feeling and ask for help! He has to know something is going on. Get some help. Once you do, invite your husband so he can gain a better understanding of what you're dealing with so he can help you more.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information