2 green/spring onions, chopped
    2 teaspoons of allspice
    large pinch of nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons of hot sauce sauce
    4 burger buns

Method:

Combine the beef with all of the other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover the mixture and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours so the flavors can infuse the meat.

Shape the beef mixture into 4 patties and Broil/Grill each burger for 5 minutes on each side or until the meat is fully cooked. Serve on toasted burger buns with lots of salad and a sweet pickle.

Makes 4 Jamaican Jerk Burgers

Re: My Favorite Recipes

Curried Mutton/Goat (or use any meat you like):

A traditional caribbean dish that is a favorite for all meat lovers

• 2Lb Mutton or Goat meat
    • 3 Tablespoons curry Powder
    • 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
    • 2 Tablespoons butter
    • 3 Onions chopped
    • 2 Tomatoes - chopped
    • 4 Teaspoons Hot Pepper Sauce
    • 2 Fl oz Olive oil
    • 1 Teaspoon brown sugar
    • Fresh sea salt to taste
    • Fresh crushed black pepper
    • Water to cover

Cut the mutton or goat meat into small pieces, place them in a bowl and season with the salt, black pepper, curry powder, garlic, tomatoes, onions and hot pepper sauce. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 3 hours.
    Seperate the meat from the seasonings and fry in the butter and oil until it is lightly browned. Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to the boil.
    Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the meat is tender, adding more water if necessary. Stir in the seasonings which the meat was marinated, taste, cover the pan again and allow it to simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the seasonings are absorbed into the juice, which should now have more body without being too thick. The dish should not be at all dry.
    Serve with rice, mango chutney, fresh red pepper, sliced onions and tomato salad.

Oh My word i am drooling Gordon..i love spicey food i am defo gunna make these..not fattening iether if i grill them Love the curry recipe too.I must show my daughter too!Where do you get the interest in caribbean cookery Gordan?My son -in law of jamaican parentage and boy at parties the food ia awsome..will be nice to return the compliment as i dont know how to cook these dishes,,so many thanks mate.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jamaican patties

Yield: 4 servings ½ large Onion 250 millilitre Ground beef or lamb
    2 millilitre Salt 2 millilitre Curry powder 250 millilitre All-purpose flour 5 millilitre Baking powder 2 millilitre Curry powder 1 millilitre Salt 1 millilitre Thyme 1 millilitre Pepper 50 millilitre Bread crumbs 125 millilitre Water 1 millilitre Turmeric 75 millilitre Shortening 25 millilitre Butter 75 millilitre Cold water
    FILLING PASTRY Ingredient note: the 75ml shortening and 25ml butter. If you like spicy food, you may want to add chopped fresh chili pepper the way most Jamaicans do. 1. Peel the onion; then chop it into small pieces. Place it in a frying pan with the ground beef and cook over medium heat until the meat is browned, about 5-10 minutes. Stir the meat frequently. 2. Add the salt, curry powder, thyme and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the bread crumbs and stir; then add the water. Cook over low heat for another 2-3 minutes. The mixture should not be watery. Set aside. 3. Measure the flour, baking powder, curry powder, salt and turmeric into a large bowl. 4. Add the shortening and butter (or substitute), cutting them into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles course crumbs. 5. Add the cold water, stirring with a fork until you have a ball of dough formed. Divide it into 8 equal portions and set aside. 6. Set the oven to 180C. You'll need a small glass of water and about 50ml of flour to assemble the patties. 7. Sprinkle a little flour (about 15ml) on a wooden board and on the rolling pin. Take one portion of dough and flatten it between your hands; then roll it out to a thin circle about 16cm in diameter. 8. Space a scoop (40-50ml) of the meat mixture on the pastry circle. Dip your fingers into the glass of water and moisten the edges of the dough. Fold the circle in half, covering the meat, and press the edges together with a fork. [The TV advertised patty presses work well for this process] 9. You now have a half-moon shape that can be trimmed cleanly with a knife if the edges are a little ragged. Prick through the top crust of the patty with a fork and place the patty on a baking sheet. Continue making the rest of the patties in the same manner, sprinkling more flour on the board if the dough begins to stick. 10. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crust is cooked and lightly browned. Serve hot or cold

MY OWN NOTES: I replace the made pastry with Shortcrust pastry out of a packet which I just form into a dough using water. (Gordon)

Gordon you are giving away your secret recipe!

Thought we were gonna open a pattie cafe and make millions, people will be making them themselves now!

Oops sorry Julie!

To Paddie, I grew up next door to a Jamaican family as a kid and their son was my best mate and I'd go round for tea. That's where I got my love of all things Jamaican from, the food, the culture, the music and the lingo!

Respecks!

Gordon

Thread Information