Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which anti depressant is best for panic attacks?

Which anti depressant is best for panic attacks?

Hi all, I take a tricylic anti depressant called Prothiaden for my depression and it works well.

However my panic attacks are still very frequent and my psychiatrist said I could take Lexapro (along with the Prothiaden) for the panic if I wanted to.

However I have been reading a lot about Seroxat and it seems to be the best SSRI for panic.

Could people who have benefitted from a SSRI for their panic attacks please give me some advice.

Thanks
    Eibhlin

Re: Which anti depressant is best for panic attacks?

Hi Eibhlin

Ive been on Citalopram for the last 8 years on and off, i did try 4 other different kinds of anti depressants but they didnt work for me. From what i have learnt from the forum what helps one person dosnt mean it will help another, everyone is different when it comes to meds.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

i take seroxat and find it very helpful with panic attacks. I only have mild attacks now.
    love mags

I asked this same question awhile back so decided to try Citlopram, well It made me very Ill indeed, it was the worst experiance ever so like andrea says ,different medicines effect people differently.

I still want to try something else althought after my last experiance its made me feel very nervous about the whole thing.

I want to try a pill that has the least side effect risks, cos I couldnt go thru that again EVER !

Thanks everyone for your input.
    I know different meds affect people differently - I just wanted to get some feedback to see which anti dep is being used the most by members.
    I am thinking I shall ask my psychiatrist for Seroxat - that doen't mean she will give it to me, but I am not complaining because she is the nicest psych I have ever had.

Eibhlin

before you decide on seroxat, which by the way worked the best for me ,until I tried the second time, check out www.seroxatmad.co.uk and see what people are going thro

Joy

Thanks for the link Joy. I forgot to say that I took Seroxat before (about ten years ago) and I had no side effects, I was taking it for depression back then.

Putting things simply, I would take drugs now even if they had adverse effects in the future. I have had mental probs for two decades and now I want to able to live my life day in the now, what happens in the future doesn't matter at this time.

Eibhlin

i took it too for 7 years with no side effects at the time or on withdrawal but when i restarted it again all hell broke loose if you see my posting under medication If you were me"

Love joy

Im on Seroxat and have been for around 5 years.

Was on 30mg a day, now down to 20mg per day. Some of my anxiety has come back though, although doctor resistant to putting back up.

Im working on trying to get stable on the dosage with beta blockers to calm / take the edge off when I do get attacks.

WARNING: In week one of taking Seroxat you do get worse before you get better - stick with it though - you will get through it.

Good luck.

Hello Eihblin,
    I wouldn't recommend lexapro as it can really impact your sleep! My partner was on it and he had terrible insomnia and far too much energy! He said he really struggled because he simply couldn't sleep and his anxiety wasn't great, it helped with the attacks but made the general anxiety worse due to his insomnia. Of course not everyone feels this way though!
    I'm on sertraline and that seems OK so far, I've heard that SSRI's are the best for panic attacks...worth a google search!
    Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information