Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline by my doctor for my chronic insomnia. She's given my 10mg which she said is a low dose.

However, I haven't been brave enough to taken enough one tablet because I am so worried about gaining weight if I take this medication.

Does anyone have any experience of taking this medication in relation to weight?

Karen

Re: Amitriptyline

Karen, I was supposed to go on these earlier in the year but the shrink changed her mind at the end. One of the listed side effects was weight gain but then again it is listed as a side effect of most meds. The only thing that every really affected my weight was lithium and that was temporary and I lost it again. Hope you make the decision that's right for you.

Love Jo x

I was on 75mg for quite a while. It did initially help with my sleep a lot, but it did seem to become less effective over time. I didn't find it changed my apetite or my weight at all, I think it's on the higher doses that it becomes more of a problem. If anyhting I found it reduced my apetite.

It does give a very dry mouth and I had a lot of problems with fluid retention / difficulty urinating to begin with, but nothing too serious.

I think 10mgs is a very low dose so I wouldn't expect too many side effects form it.

Jim

Thanks Jo and Jim for your replies. I still cannot make a decision. Anything with the potential to cause me to gain weight is so unacceptable to me no matter how low the actual risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I had a lot of problems with fluid retention / difficulty urinating to begin with...
    Umm maybe 10mg is a small dose and my doctor didn't think I'd get side effects but I already have problems with these symptoms. I am worried about it getting worse particularly as it already causes me to feel so bad and so fat

I don't know what to do really.

Karen

I'm not so sure weight gain is a side effect of amitriptyline, I don't have the leaflet anymore that comes with it. I'm not sure but I think weight loss was a side effect if I remember rightly? I personally found it actually made me eat less as it upset my stomach a little, a bit like heartburn and some diarrhea occasionally.

I now take the antipsychotic quetiapine instead, it works a treat for sleeping and a lot with irrational thinking. But it does make me very hungry at times and weight gain is a very common side effect from it compared to amiltrypiline. The advantage of these sort of things is they are non-addictive so are better than sleeping tablets like zopiclone or benzo's.

I don't think I got any noticeable side effects till I got over 50mgs and it does wear off very quickly, I found within 24 hours it had worn off. You could always give it a try and if the side effects are too bad you can stop?

Jim

JImbo
    are you still on effexor? If so how are you doing

Love joy

Thanks Jim.

I have the information leaflet that comes with the medication and that's where I read about possible weight gain. However, I know I have probably an irrational fear about this that I associate with antidepressants generally. I even asked my doctor this question before I read about the possible side effects.

Probably it is like anything where individuals react differently. I also remember that I have taken this medication years ago when my weight was significantly higher than it is now and that is clouding my judgement.

My doctor was concerned about prescribing other sleeping pills due to possible addiction and said in a couple of weeks my body would be used to it and so it would stop being effective.

Karen

Karen - I think you are right, they main thing to remember is while I got some side effects from them, you might not get any at all, or lots. It's different for each individual person.

Joy - Yes I am, doing ok, I'll update my other thread on them.

Jim

Just wandered how you are getting on with them as doctor prescribed these for me today.

Hi Mev

What does have you been prescribed?

My doctor prescribed it for me to help with sleep but I haven't had the courage to try it yet

Karen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information