Thread: Anyone had CA125 test for OC?

Anyone had CA125 test for OC?

I went to the doctor about my ovulation pain and she is sending me for the CA125 blood test. She said my symptoms don't sound like OC. She is also sending me for an ultrasound. Now I have read up about the blood test and there are other reasons for elevated results apart from OC, including endometriosis, which also could account for my symptoms. I am really scared of getting this test in case it comes back positive and then o have a long wait to find out whether I have cancer or not! I'm wondering whether it would be better to wait for the ultrasound? Would that show if I had a tumour?

Re: Anyone had CA125 test for OC?

I have been helping a ovarian cancer charity no expierence myself but I believe CA125 can indicate many things, as it's done by numbers so if it was higher than usual it could mean anything, it's a test just to see if there is any indication of cancer or other things, it's worth getting it done because then your doctors will have a idea aswell, a ultra sound will show a tumour they're likely to do a transvaginal scan, but remember cysts and other things are more likely than cancer. I know it's worrying but these tests are for your health and to monitor you for the future!

Thank you for your reply. I know it is ridiculous to worry about having an illness and then be too worried to get the test to see whether I have it, so I guess I should go through with the test. The Dr seemed to think it was very unlikely, but I don't know what I am hoping to achieve by worrying and then doing nothing about it. I appreciate your advice, I will try not to think too deeply into this and go and get the blood test on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by cattia View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I know it is ridiculous to worry about having an illness and then be too worried to get the test to see whether I have it, so I guess I should go through with the test. The Dr seemed to think it was very unlikely, but I don't know what I am hoping to achieve by worrying and then doing nothing about it. I appreciate your advice, I will try not to think too deeply into this and go and get the blood test on Monday.
    Oh no you aren't ridiculous I think we are all the same on here! you aren't worried about the test just the results and that's a normal human response to tests! how old are you? If the doctor thinks it's unlikely it probably is and NO searching ovarian cancer please it'll give you a scare of your life! I hope your tests go well, I'm sure it will. X

Thanks, I am 40. I've been getting quite bad ovulation pain since my periods came back after having my third child, so about 18 months now. The dr thinks probably just age related changes but she wanted to rule anything else out. I also get super tired around my period which has got worse with age.

Now are you getting on cattia

Hi, thank you for asking! My test came back negative which is great, I have the scan booked for next week but as I've now moved on to obsessing over CFS/ME I'm actually no longer worried about it! I'm still getting bad ovulation pains so I'll be interested to see whether they find anything.

Oh that’s brilliant news but why are you worrying about something else? What do your pains feel like. I hope you feel better soon x

Thread Information