Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Asbestos fear

Re: Asbestos fear

Quote Originally Posted by carlap View Post
    Is this the same in Spain or are they not as worried about health and safgoas they are here in this country?
    I somehow missed that you were going to Spain by skimming that bit! Well if you believe the press we get our health and safety legislation from the EU, which Spain is part of...

Your brain has lodged the fact "asbestos is harmful" and created a phobia. Throwing facts at you about the actual levels of asbestos that are harmful will do nothing here. Reminding you that no-one you've ever known has ever had a problem with asbestosis even thought it was a very common building material won't help. Reminding you contractors in a public building in a developed country wouldn't be throwing material around if it was harmful to customers to do so won't help. Reminding you thousands of people will be passing through that building, and buildings undertaking the same work across the world, without a single one having problems won't help.

Your fear of asbestos is arbitrary. It may as well be carbon monoxide, or flouride, or snakes, or spiders, or clowns. It's impacting your life, and the life of your family, and you need to get help.

My flat contains asbestos as do the garages outside. The only items the housing association removed were the fibre boards and the heating, everything else has remained, if they were that worried about people living in the buildings then they would of ripped out everything or else risk massive lawsuits. The house I grew up in had low grade asbestos and the last building I worked it has it. There is no way in hell they would be removing it from a train station when people are around or letting people stay in the hotel if it was a risk.

Please don't let your fear win and ruin what sounds like a lovely surprise for your son. It sounds like it would be a memory he will really cherish.

Somehow this is an anxiety that I do NOT have. I have an old house. My partner and I have been restoring it for the last 3 years. Asbestos is/was everywhere. We had asbestos tiles professionally removed from the basement, but otherwise have left things intact (sealed in the non-working fireplaces, asbestos siding sealed under vinyl siding, etc.) or he safely removed them himself. There may be more that we don't know about, just like you may have been in plenty of places with it safely contained that you don't know about. There's no way to avoid it 100%, because it was used for years as a "miracle insulation." However, you will only get sick from it IF it is being crushed and IF you breathe it in and IF it makes it to your lungs and IF you do this a lot over many years. I am certain that all steps will be taken for safety in a public, government-owned place like a train station. If they are removing it instead of leaving it intact, then their goal is to eliminate any potential public health hazard, not create one. Please take your trip and enjoy it!

Asbestos worries again

Hi this is a usual topic for me, I’m now on Prozac and was doing ok but then we just stayed on a caravan site and they were knocking down a old farm building close to us. We spent 5 days there and they were working on the building the whole time. Now I’m home I’m worried all our clothes and shoes are covered in asbestos dust and I’ve brought it into our home. I’m washing the clothes twice but the shoes we need to wear out tonight. So stressed

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Obestos panic again

Hi I was wondering if you could help me again. We have just came back from a camping holiday where a old farm house was being smash apart quite close now im afraid it didn't have the right safety checks and I've been exposed to asbestos fibres again. It was just two men doing the work and didn't look like prober contractors.
    Thank you

Re-read the replies we gave you about the chances of this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information