Thread: "Depression is a physical illness which could be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs

"Depression is a physical illness which could be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs

Re: "Depression is a physical illness which could be treated with anti-inflammatory d

This theory has been doing the rounds for a while now. Interesting and maybe it will help some people but I doubt whether this is a major breakthrough in the treatment of depressive illness. If there is any substance at all in the findings then I'm sure there will be further articles.

Thanks for posting this, lior.

Re: "Depression is a physical illness which could be treated with anti-inflammatory d

I feel they have a good point if they are treating someone with chronic pain. I have fibromyalgia and there is depression associated with it. However, my take on that is that I have pain every day of my life and will continue his pattern as long as I'm alive. Therefore, I think there would be something wrong with me if I wasn't depressed from time to time. In the beginning I was depressed all the time because I didn't know what it was or that it was permanent. Now I do and I've come to accept it as my existence, so it doesn't depress me like it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Allurelle View Post
    Now I do and I've come to accept it as my existence, so it doesn't depress me like it used to.
    Sorry you're in pain. :( I have ME. Are you on Phoenix Rising?

I accept that I will go through periods of depression and anxiety, as part of my existence. People challenge that but it is actually helpful to just accept this because it's so likely. Yes there's hope for recovery or drugs, the same as you, but the likelihood is that it is permanently part of me.

The affect is that I focus on the good in my life, while it's here

I have arthritis. It's just pain killers for me. My GP will not prescribe antiinflammatory tablets for me as I take aspirin. My arthritis does depress me, but like other people who have pain everyday, just learn to live with it one day at a time.
    Thank you for information lior. hope all goes well for you x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

This is an interesting case of chicken and egg. Chronic stress generally causes increases in circulating inflammation levels so I'm sure depression must also do this. But is the inflammation a symptom or cause of depression?

It's also interesting to note that most SSRI and SNRI drugs have, in varying potencies, anti-inflammatory properties.

Never Surrender, Comrade

So will all patients with depression be screened for inflammatory markers in their blood?

Quote Originally Posted by lior View Post
    Thoughts?

Honestly, I beleive the drug companies wants you to beleive this statement.

Thread Information