Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram to mirtazapine

Re: Citalopram to mirtazapine

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    No, it's my understanding of meds. Only that link is from doctors.

I believe your average GP doesn't have a clue about pharmacokinetics and from things I've seem some do on the Meds board it only backs up my belief.

Even if you are doing fine, they want to ramp up the dose because they are told too. In many physical issues they wouldn't do that, they would be listening to the patient.

I agree with you about dose ramping. They are used to throwing meds at you that start to work quickly and don't want to spend months tapering while the patient is struggling.

I started on 20mg Citalopram as my first med. Two days later I was under the Crisis Team not knowing what was wrong with me. If I had been started at 10mg I wouldn't have been so drastic.
    I to was started on 20mg Citalopram Terry years ago , my wife was in tears i was picking fights for no reason with her i came straight off. 20 years on they still tried me again on citalopram made me worse, they never think to look at your old notes, i was way out in the planets has a space cadet at the time i didnt no what i was getting, but i had a light bulb moment and went ape shit at the shrink

Quote Originally Posted by braindead View Post
    I to was started on 20mg Citalopram Terry years ago , my wife was in tears i was picking fights for no reason with her i came straight off. 20 years on they still tried me again on citalopram made me worse, they never think to look at your old notes, i was way out in the planets has a space cadet at the time i didnt no what i was getting, but i had a light bulb moment and went ape shit at the shrink
    I had never felt depression until those first days, Brian. I was new to anxiety back then and my GP just didn't prepare me for how the side effects could be.

Years later when I relapsed I ignored him when he trotted our the same BS about side effects and prepared myself for a tough few weeks. I didn't ask for help because I knew there wasn't much so if I couldn't make through to the other side it was worth trying since any of the others might have meant the same rough ride.

I think it's good to learn from others in places like this. I always believed my GP back then but listening to people on here might have saved me a couple of very tough years where this med turned me into someone far more anxious than when I went to my GP.

Quote Originally Posted by George B View Post
    Hi all, new to the site so hope this is the correct place to post... Anyway, about a month ago I moved from 40mg citalopram (which I'd been on for many years) to 15mg mirtazapine to treat my ongoing anxiety problems. I changed as, frankly, the citalopram was doing nothing for me and was suffering badly from anxiety and depression. I withdrew from the citalopram over a two-week period, as directed by my gp. The first thing I noticed when I quit the Citalopram and started the Mirtazapine was the fact that in the mornings I could barely get out of bed I was so exhausted (previously I was always an easy early riser). As the weeks have passed this has not changed; in fact it's worse. Some days it takes me most of the day to gain any energy. Also, over the last days I am struggling to stay asleep and having very weird dreams (more like visions actually). Moreover, my limbs are heavy and I have a general lassitude and weariness. To top it all I am having profoundly depressed - almost suicidal -periods, And spikes of deep anxiety. Yet I also have moments of hope, and the stomach problems I had for years have virtually gone. Can anyone offer any insight? Are these symptoms normal at this stage? Is it Citalopram withdrawal perhaps? Is it worth persisting with this regime? Any help is much appreciated
    Long term Mirt user here: What you describe is exactly how it is at first. I'm surprised that you haven't commented about hunger and carb cravings... if they haven't caught you up then they will.

I take 45mg a day, split over a single morning dose (15mg) and then 2 at night just as I get into bed (2x15mg). The dreams and sleepiness are to be expected given the histamine profile of Mirt. Personally, I love the dreams and being a terrible sleeper I also enjoy the chilled, sleepy feelings I get on these. If you get up in the morning and fight it a little, the grogginess soon lifts. You have to work them a bit.

I found 15 worked for a few months but then pooped out. They upped me to 30, that did nothing so within a few weeks it was upped again to 45. And I have been here ever since. TBH, it has taken almost 12 months to stabilise my anxiety. And to find my rhythm with them, finally. But as it is, I would encourage you to do what you feel is best. You are still early doors and given how long it has taken me, you might have a little further to go, before you exhaust this option.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGeeza View Post
    Long term Mirt user here: What you describe is exactly how it is at first. I'm surprised that you haven't commented about hunger and carb cravings... if they haven't caught you up then they will.

I take 45mg a day, split over a single morning dose (15mg) and then 2 at night just as I get into bed (2x15mg). The dreams and sleepiness are to be expected given the histamine profile of Mirt. Personally, I love the dreams and being a terrible sleeper I also enjoy the chilled, sleepy feelings I get on these. If you get up in the morning and fight it a little, the grogginess soon lifts. You have to work them a bit.

I found 15 worked for a few months but then pooped out. They upped me to 30, that did nothing so within a few weeks it was upped again to 45. And I have been here ever since. TBH, it has taken almost 12 months to stabilise my anxiety. And to find my rhythm with them, finally. But as it is, I would encourage you to do what you feel is best. You are still early doors and given how long it has taken me, you might have a little further to go, before you exhaust this option.
    WE DONT TALK ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN, because its been cover many times, thats why i and many others dont take mirtazapine long term. The weight it puts on you is depressing in itself , BUT YOU SEEM OK

WE DONT TALK ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN, because its been cover many times, thats why i and many others dont take mirtazapine long term. The weight it puts on you is depressing in itself , BUT YOU SEEM OK
    Hmmm... not particularly. At first I wasn't aware of the weight gain potential, and over the first months it wasn't an issue. However, as my dosage increased so did my appetite. And my waistline. And yes, my anxiety over this new worry.

For the last five months and with my Dr's awareness I follow a strict eating regimen and I stay active. No simple carbs, sugars or sweet foods. I eat greens, veggies and wholewheat foods. TBH, I actually enjoy what I am eating nowadays and can attest that it is the healthiest I have eaten in my entire life. And I have actually lost almost a stone (14lbs). The same stone of weight that I put on.

So, with control and an awareness to the weight issues Mirt can induce. I am managing the potential weight caveat of Mirt.

I haven't swapped over to an SSRI for fear of a relapse, reintroduction of side effects and the unknown. I did read somewhere that if an AD works for you, it's best to stick with it.

Hmmm... not particularly. At first I wasn't aware of the weight gain potential, and over the first months it wasn't an issue. However, as my dosage increased so did my appetite. And my waistline. And yes, my anxiety over this new worry.

For the last five months and with my Dr's awareness I follow a strict eating regimen and I stay active. No simple carbs, sugars or sweet foods. I eat greens, veggies and wholewheat foods. TBH, I actually enjoy what I am eating nowadays and can attest that it is the healthiest I have eaten in my entire life. And I have actually lost almost a stone (14lbs). The same stone of weight that I put on.

So, with control and an awareness to the weight issues Mirt can induce. I am managing the potential weight caveat of Mirt.

I haven't swapped over to an SSRI for fear of a relapse, reintroduction of side effects and the unknown. I did read somewhere that if an AD works for you, it's best to stick with it.
    Your diet would not suit me . i have near on given up drinking you wont take my fish and chips

Your diet would not suit me . i have near on given up drinking you wont take my fish and chips
    LOL. I don't drink either... Again because of the Mirt. For me it seems to heighten the effects of alcohol, almost doubling its strength. It makes for a cheap night, but I become very maudlin on it... so best to steer clear.

As for fish and chips... once in a while is OK, just not every night.

And I did not know of Mirt's use with eating disorders etc. And had I have been made aware when first prescribed, I would have steered clear. However, I was in to deep to change when the weight issue became apparent, and as mentioned earlier, things had settled mentally. I felt it best to continue with the treatment. It was that or take my chances with SSRI's which carry a higher potential for insomnia and stimulation. Both things I needed to avoid.
    Last edited by RandomGeeza; 19-09-17 at 14:17. Reason: Add info...

LOL. I don't drink either... Again because of the Mirt. For me it seems to heighten the effects of alcohol, almost doubling its strength. It makes for a cheap night, but I become very maudlin on it... so best to steer clear.

As for fish and chips... once in a while is OK, just not every night.

And I did not know of Mirt's use with eating disorders etc. And had I have been made aware when first prescribed, I would have steered clear. However, I was in to deep to change when the weight issue became apparent, and as mentioned earlier, things had settled mentally. I felt it best to continue with the treatment. It was that or take my chances with SSRI's which carry a higher potential for insomnia and stimulation. Both things I needed to avoid.
    I have actually been on mirtazapine twice , first time i went up a jean size every 2 weeks you only have to look at the box and you put on weight.: wacko: 2nd time not to long ago so i could get some sleep in a combo med set up , didnt do it for me and was a bleeder to come off. and yes i no anorexics are given mirt . i am coming of olanzapine that is 3 times worse but saves your life in a crisis

I have actually been on mirtazapine twice , first time i went up a jean size every 2 weeks you only have to look at the box and you put on weight.: wacko: 2nd time not to long ago so i could get some sleep in a combo med set up , didnt do it for me and was a bleeder to come off. and yes i no anorexics are given mirt . i am coming of olanzapine that is 3 times worse but saves your life in a crisis
    Yes I know the feeling of just walking past a biscuit and ballooooooooooning!!!! Even on my diet I still bloat a lot, with water... which can be very uncomfortable.

Other than, it's not tooooooo bad. I would rather it be this way than debilitating anxiety and depression.

Yeah, it turns you into Pac Man

They even use it to treat cats & dogs to get them to eat. So, perhaps if you can't walk past a dog biscuit either...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information