Thread: Coming off Sertraline/Zoloft and relationships

Coming off Sertraline/Zoloft and relationships

Hello guys. My name is Jessie, i'm 27 years old. I was put on sertraline just over two years ago, just after my dad had died from alcoholism and my mum was in the priory for the same.

Two years forward, things are much better situationally than they have ever been in my life. My mum has been stable in remission from her alcoholism. My dad passed a while ago. So I decided to take the plunge. I thought maybe I could be much better, do I need these anti-depressants?

I tapered very slowly. I was only ever on 100 for a very short amount of time but it made me wet the bed with sweat and bad dreams. Went down to fifty and stayed that way for a very long time, until I decided I didn't think I needed them anymore.

It's been almost two months since I started tapering and about two and a half weeks since I have been off it completely; it's ruining my relationship. I'm so angry, I cry a few times a day where as I never ever used to cry, just feel blunt. A lack of empathy almost. I have been picking my girlfriend apart and making her cry. I've been angry, hungry, and my sex drive has been confusing as it's been up whist I've had some sort of contempt for her.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these things, I don't know if it's just my depression coming back. My anxiety and ocd has been worse than I can remember it ever having been.

I don't know what to do, I don't know if to stick it out but I feel like if I go on the way i'm going i'll push her away.

EDIT: I have been in therapy for about a month which has touched on sore spots. I don't know if this might relate, but I feel like i'm doing everything I can and nothing is working in my favour. :(
    Last edited by jmhb; 16-09-17 at 20:30.

Re: Coming off Sertraline/Zoloft and relationships

Jessie,

I just wanted to swing by and offer some words of encouragement. I tapered off of Sertraline over the course of 5 months. I was on between 50-75mg on and off for the better part of 7 years. I have been off now for about two and a half months. I've experienced many of the things you have, as well as various physical withdrawal symptoms. There are days though where it's as if I can see the light and the clarity of not being on the medication. Yes some days will be hard, but your body is adjusting to dealing with thoughts and emotions without the added support of the medicine. Have you talked with your girlfriend about what you are going through? I've talked with my girlfriend every step of the way and she has been a major support through all of this. Stay strong my friend, things will level out and get better. But, if you feel that it is absolutely the best for you to go back on the medication that is okay too. There is nothing wrong with being on medicine if it helps you lead a full and happy life. Good luck!

Thread Information