Thread: pigmentation mark that looks like a bruise but is not

Unhappy New mark on skin that looks like a bruise but is not, worried what it is?

I was wondering if anybody has had anything like this before? About 8 weeks ago now on the side part of my lower arm not far from my wrist a patch of skin has gone pale brown in a circle shape. It's uniform in colour, no scaley or rough parts, I can't actually feel it there but it's noticeable. I don't know what it is any time I have googled nothing really seems to look like it and of course google is riddled with cancer posts which don't help although it doesn't really look like the images of melanomas or other forms of skin cancer. I am reluctant to go to the dr for a number of reasons, one being wasting the time if it's nothing and not anyone else would bother worrying about.
    It hasn't changed, it's not got darker or faded it's stayed exactly the same, a very pale brown tan circle.

I was on antibiotics about 9 weeks ago and it was summer here so i was in the sun a little but I haven't burnt or anything I wear a high Spf.
    Last edited by Nyla; 18-09-17 at 19:18. Reason: worded better

Re: pigmentation mark that looks like a bruise but is not

Nobody heard of or seen anything like this? :(

I guess this must be rare??

No, it's just that no one can diagnose nor assume what it is. And since there are no symptoms/changes to speak of, it certainly doesn't appear to be threatening. You have a choice. Either go to the doctor or find a way to rationalize this as just a harmless "one of those things".

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes!! I have this on my leg. I actually thought it was a bruise for a while and was getting anxious why it wasn't fading away. Now I'm realizing its just the color of my skin I guess. Its been there for a while now. Its like a darker tannish/brown spot, circular like you described. I can't feel it just see it.

Thank you both!
    I have had some days where I have chosen to ignore it and not check on it and any negative thoughts which have come along with the checking but then I have had some days where thoughts have strayed into anxious territory :(

The reason I haven't been to a Doctor is mainly because where I live is small (doctor lives down the road) and I don't want to be seen as a time waster. I have been made to feel this way in the past. I also don't want to go if it is absolutely nothing and just one of those things because its a waste of time, mine and theirs. Somebody else who needs that time could have it.

Its weird, still no changes. I know antibiotics can cause some hyperpigmentation on sun exposure but it's such an odd part of the body which isn't heavily sun exposed (side of arm near wrist). I'm glad I'm not the only person who has experienced something like this.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Yes!! I have this on my leg. I actually thought it was a bruise for a while and was getting anxious why it wasn't fading away. Now I'm realizing its just the color of my skin I guess. Its been there for a while now. Its like a darker tannish/brown spot, circular like you described. I can't feel it just see it.
    what size is yours? mine is about 1inch long I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyla View Post

what size is yours? mine is about 1inch long I would say.
    The same as you described.

I went to see a health professional who just said to monitor it. I have since got two more marks on the same arm.....I'm no wiser as to what it is :(

I know it’s been a while but was curious what the result of this ever was. I have 2 similar marks on my upper thigh appeared out of the blue although they could’ve been there without my knowledge as they were mostly covered by hair. Saw a derma who said it was post inflammatory hyperpigmentation but I don’t recall ever getting a rash there. That I’d have noticed I think.

Thread Information