Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please

Advice needed please

Good morning guys , so yesterday my doc put me on iron tablets then seperatly B12 supplements ...
    Now like a lot of us I have a phobia on taking any medications , and now he's given me two sets to take at the same time I feel like my mouth has become dry just thinking about it

I understand I need them and actually DO really need them as I have not been feeling right for a while and I will pluck up the courage to do so but here's my question , I am away on business in a couple of days where I will be travelling abroad for 4 days, should I start them today ? Should I just start with iron then the b12 on my return or start both on my return? Is it safe to wait a week more?
    I think most of you will understand the concern here ( what f I get a severe reaction whilst away in a foreign country all on my lonesome)
    Any advise will be much appreciated!
    Just one more thing do I have to wait 2 hours after breakfast before taking the iron? Or can I take it straight away if I'm not consuming dairy, coffee, tea, etc
    Sorry for the long story Thank you

---------- Post added at 06:18 ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 ----------

Anyone ?

Re: Advice needed please

I understand to a degree why some are hesitant or afraid of taking prescription meds but may I ask why you're having an issue taking, for all intents and purposes, a couple of vitamins? It's not a medication that would cause a side effect and if you have low levels of certain chemicals in the body, vitamin supplements help restore normal levels.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Why ? Because there's a whole bunch of side effects warnings that have come
    With the supplements , so that's why it has fueled my anxiety, if the packet had said No side effects ( like you had stated) then no one would need to be on forums like these seeking reassurance .
    It may sound silly to some people but for me it's real. It's exhausting .
    Thank you for your reply.

Every single supplement on the market list possible side effects by law. Even chewable multivitamins for kids! It is what it is. Personally, I've taken supplements since I was a teen. I now take niacin, D3, E, C, a multivitamin and a few more that escape me right now. Nothing... no issues at all as it is with the vast majority of people. Thing is, if you do experience a side effect, you'll know what it is based on the bottle. It sounds like indeed these supplements would help alleviate your symptoms.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

With side effects, they include any conceivable scientific possibility. Many of the scary side effects listed on medications are so rare they pretty much don't happen, but because there's been a random outlier here and there, they have to print them.

Things like iron and B12 are in food we eat. There's nothing to fear from taking them. However, the questions you're asking are best posed to a doctor. My own personal point of view as someone with no medical training is that the sooner you start taking them, the sooner you can start feeling better and losing your fear of them,

Aw thank you guys , you both have made me feel loads better!
    Really appreciate it

Doctors prescribe medically licenced versions. They aren't supplements but they are really just more powerful versions. The idea is usually to boost levels up quicker.

What does your doctor think? What is the impact of you waiting this short time?

Side effects can occur if they are listed but like any medication there are probabilities involved so some side effects may be rare anyway. Iron supplements can cause constipation, for instance, which can be common (ask midwives why they approve if liquid iron instead of harsher tablets, for instance) but even basic iron supplements can cause constipation too.

Thank you! I actually took the iron tablet this morning , I think with my
    "special " way of the thinking ,I'm going to start the b12 on my return ! I think I can only cope with one set of tablets at a time

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

There shouldn't be a " the" before thinking ( typo)

Atta Girl! Way to go...

Positive thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information