Thread: Are these visual disturbances caused by anxiety?

Are these visual disturbances caused by anxiety?

Hi everyone,

for almost two years now I've been experiencing some bizarre visual disturbances. I got my eyes checked, the doctor said they are fine. One doctor said my symptoms seem to be related to bloodflow in the brain and the retina. Some people have told me that anxiety can cause them and if I stopped thinking about them they would go away. I find it possible, as I've been suffering from chronic anxiety for many years. But I stopped paying attention to them and I still have these symptoms and some of them even got worse. The symptoms are as follows:

* Sometimes I see small bright dots in one of the eyes (can be either eye), but they are visible only when I blink, I don't see them all the time;
    * I started having trouble looking at lines or grids or striped patterns because they irritate my eyes;
    * Bright colors (especially red) and bright color combinations (pink/green/red/blue etc) also irritate my eyes, and bright blue light can even cause pain in my eyes;
    * I get some kind of "flickering light" effect in my peripheral vision, especially in dim light or if I enter a bright room after being in the dark for a longer time;
    * When I look at a plain white surface (e.g. a wall) and quickly move my eyes, I experience dark flashing lightning-like structures in my peripheral vision (similar to the Purkinje tree);
    * When I walk on the street and look down at the sidewalk tiles, they don't seem to pass smoothly, but rather I see them shaking and trembling in my peripheral vision;
    * I have some annoying floaters that are darker than the "normal" ones and I've also had them for a much longer time ("normal" floaters go away relatively fast, these ones are stuck with me for a couple of months now);
    * Sometimes I experience random after-images that appear on their own, without me looking at any lightsource;
    * I sometimes see visual trails from fast-moving objects, e.g. a car driving by, or me moving my arm fast;
    * I get these weird "flashes" that last only for a few miliseconds: if I look at an object for a long time, something seems to "flash" and the color of the object seems to change for a moment, althouth I am not very sure about this one, as it lasts very very short and I can't identify what it really looks like. And sometimes my eyeball simply trembles when I look at something intensely, especially if it's an object far away;
    * All of these symptoms started (one by one) some time after I experienced an ocular migraine attack a few years ago, but I haven't had another attack ever since.

Some other symptoms that might be related:

* I have myopia with one eye being much weaker (R -3,0 L -5,0);
    * I often get cluster headaches on one side of the head and one eye;
    * I also get dizziness attacks or simply days when I'm dizzy all the day;
    * I've had visual snow and tinnitus my whole life. I don't know if it may be connected. Might be linked to the blood flow problems mentioned earlier.

Right now a bright red ribbon is laying on the carpet and when it is in my peripheral vision and I move my eyes, it seems to be flashing and moving in a weird way. These symptoms freak me out. Obviously, I tend to think about the worst: brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, Behcet's disease and so on. It is very difficult to find a cause for ALL the symptoms because many of them are so bizarre and also difficult to describe. But I am hopeful that it may indeed be caused by anxiety. Does anyone experience anything similar?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Are these visual disturbances caused by anxiety?

Dealing with most of these right now. I had this also in 2011 but it went away after being in physio therapy and taking Sertraline for 6 months.

Unfortunatly in May I had a small accident with my gas grill and flames went towards my face. I only felt small heat change but no burns. However, this accident caused my to think about my eyes again and got myself into 24/7 anxiety attack which I'm slowly getting out of now.

A lot of these things sound like normal eye stuff. I got a bunch of new, dark floaters recently, and had an eye exam just to make sure everything was ok. The dr said that it's normal to get new floaters as we age. He didn't find anything wrong with my eyes. The floaters stuck around for months before disappearing.

One night when I was feeling very anxious I walked into a brightly lit room and it looked as though the lights were flickering. I freaked out and had a full blown panic attack thinking that my retinas were detaching or something. Of course after I calmed down the flickering stopped. It was just anxiety. Anxiety definitely can affect vision in weird ways. I've even heard some people describing their vision as going blurry or blacking out slightly due to anxiety.

I also notice that sometimes patterned tiles on the floor seem to wiggle or move depending on how I'm looking at them. This is an optical illusion, and not necessarily anxiety.

If you haven't had an eye exam recently, then it might be worth it to get one just for peace of mind. If you have had one recently and the dr didn't find anything wrong, then your symptoms are most likely due to stress/anxiety.

I can relate to pretty much all of this.

I also suffer from visual snow and tinnitus.

I've had my eyes tested loads of times and told time and time again that there is nothing seriously wrong with them.

The longer it goes, the longer you get used to it I guess.

Distraction is your friend, I have found.

Also, how much do you hate bright white walls, and close vertical or horizontal lines? They both drive me mad!

If you feel like you need some more support, or to talk to others with similar symptoms, you can find a couple of visual snow related forums, and even a pretty active facebook group.

Take care

Thank you very much for your replies, guys. It does make me feel much better to know that other people are experiencing this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

Also, how much do you hate bright white walls, and close vertical or horizontal lines? They both drive me mad!
    Yeah, I have trouble looking at lines that are close to one another... For instance, I can't look at striped clothing at a store anymore... It creates an illusion of some sort of waves, like when you see striped clothing on TV (I gather this illusion is called aliasing). I'm just glad I don't own any striped clothes
    White walls only annoy me when I move my eyes and experience those flashes. I'm used to visual snow by now.

I will check out some visual snow forums. I wonder if at least some of these symptoms might be connected to VS. It's still a relatively mysterious phenomenon that hasn't been researched thoroughly.

Now I noticed yet another symptom: I started seeing blue outlines around (white) street lights. The blue is a bright one, actually just the same shade that annoys my eyes so much. I would sometimes see rainbow haloes around street lights, but those were different. Now it just seems like there is a blue LED lamp next to the actual light bulb. I only see them when the lamp is far away, and the light fades away when I get closer.

I do wear glasses with anti-reflective coating, which sometimes gives off a blue tint, but I noticed I can still see the blue light without glasses, just really blurry.

I am worried again. Why do I have so many symptoms with the color blue (forgot to mention I also experience random blue-ish phosphenes popping up)? I couldn't find much information on this symptom. Could it be something serious?

Hi, just wanted to comment and say that I also have visual snow (have done for 10+ years) and I can relate to most of the things you said. I think they are often linked. By this point, I pretty much don't even notice these visual disturbances any more, but I definitely have them. I have to sleep with a light on, cause being in total darkness is unbearable for me with the snow and the flashes/colours/etc. I often get afterimages for no reason, floaters, flashes of light, all kinds of things.

I think it definitely can be linked to anxiety, but also just one of those things! No doctor or optician has ever been able to find a reason for my problems, but if you google there are so many forums for people with visual snow, and many suffer with a lot of the things you said. I know they're all extremely annoying, but I'd try not to worry too much (because when I'm stressed my visual problems get A LOT worse. One time I was super stressed about my job, and I started seeing colours wrong. Like, black looked like brown. And I started getting brightly coloured wiggly lines all over my vision.)

I hope you feel better soon x

Thread Information