Thread: 19 year old with health anxiety :(

19 year old with health anxiety :(

Hey guys! I'm new here I'm 19 and I have health anxiety. I've had anxiety most of my life, my health anxiety started about a year ago but I've only started to realise what it is recently. I'm currently convinced I have oral or neck cancer. I'm 19 and I don't smoke. I've had 3 doctors appointments in one week because I worry too much, I have a small moveable lymph node in my neck which I'm panicking about, a doctor and a nurse have both said they're normal, reassurance just doesn't help though! I know health professionals can miss things 😩I also have pressure in one side of my neck but I'm not sure if that's caused by anxiety or not.. I was in hysterics last night and ended up going to an urgent care centre(seems silly I know). I've had a blood test today, which my doctor has put tests down for glandular fever and full blood count.. does anyone know what the process is? Aka if cancer shows up will they let me know asap?
    It would be great to know everyone else's stories as I know it helps if we all discuss
    Speak soon x

Re: 19 year old with health anxiety :(

Hello, I'm 20 also and suffer from health anxiety! I started off with lymph nodes and it isn't a nice anxiety to have, you have had yours checked out and yes they miss things but 3 times a doctor isn't going too, if he doesn't think it's anything to worry about you shouldn't worry. If you really need to go urgent care for a lymph node I think you need help with your anxiety urgently, i don't think cancer shows up on a blood test but it will have indications which they would let you know about x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya~

I'm 21, and I've had severe hypochrondria since I was about 8 or 9 years old. At that age, you're not overly familiar with diseases or anything, but I used to be afraid of going to bed because I was completely terrified of suddenly dying in my sleep. That's not a good age to start worrying about that kind of stuff, but it got actively worse during later primary school years, when my teacher would put on these sort of news shows for kids.

My early teens was full of hypochondria too, and I used to get constant dull niggly headaches that never seemed to go away. Eventually they did, and my health anxiety decreased a fair bit after I was about 16/17.

The past two years though, it's come back in full swing, and moving out of home recently has made it worse than it ever was, unfortunately. Paired with social anxiety, I only go to the doctor when I think I REALLY need to, because I'm afraid of sounding stupid. I'm also really afraid of pain, so blood tests and stuff send me into a panic attack all on their own, ahaha~ I used to worry about lymph nodes too, but have since moved onto more ludicrous ideals about what's wrong with me - so if anything, I would recommend getting help for your anxiety if you can before it likely gets worse (and becomes a more hellish existence, it's not very fun, huh...?)

Please remind yourself that the chances of you having any sort of cancer at this age is incredibly slim - I have to constantly remind myself too, and I know it's ridiculously hard to do. But if you've had plenty of doctor reassurance so far, I hope you can eventually convince yourself that you're completely alright~ ^-^

'Cause you're okay~
    It's never silly to worry, and it's always hard to live with.
    It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on things you're worried about, but try your best not to let them get to you, and please remember that you're okay~

Take care, young kouhai~ ⊂(´• ω •`⊂)
    Last edited by actualWeeaboo; 25-09-17 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by worriedsickxo View Post
    Hello, I'm 20 also and suffer from health anxiety! I started off with lymph nodes and it isn't a nice anxiety to have, you have had yours checked out and yes they miss things but 3 times a doctor isn't going too, if he doesn't think it's anything to worry about you shouldn't worry. If you really need to go urgent care for a lymph node I think you need help with your anxiety urgently, i don't think cancer shows up on a blood test but it will have indications which they would let you know about x

Aw Thankyou for replying! It's so hard isn't it :( yes I'm definitely going to get help! do you worry about cancer too? X

Quote Originally Posted by eviekayahxx View Post
    Aw Thankyou for replying! It's so hard isn't it :( yes I'm definitely going to get help! do you worry about cancer too? X

Yeah it's hard to worry about it, but sometimes you just have to give yourself tough love and realise how irrational your worries actually are, cancer is rare in younger people x

Quote Originally Posted by actualWeeaboo View Post
    Hiya~

I'm 21, and I've had severe hypochrondria since I was about 8 or 9 years old. At that age, you're not overly familiar with diseases or anything, but I used to be afraid of going to bed because I was completely terrified of suddenly dying in my sleep. That's not a good age to start worrying about that kind of stuff, but it got actively worse during later primary school years, when my teacher would put on these sort of news shows for kids.

My early teens was full of hypochondria too, and I used to get constant dull niggly headaches that never seemed to go away. Eventually they did, and my health anxiety decreased a fair bit after I was about 16/17.

The past two years though, it's come back in full swing, and moving out of home recently has made it worse than it ever was, unfortunately. Paired with social anxiety, I only go to the doctor when I think I REALLY need to, because I'm afraid of sounding stupid. I'm also really afraid of pain, so blood tests and stuff send me into a panic attack all on their own, ahaha~ I used to worry about lymph nodes too, but have since moved onto more ludicrous ideals about what's wrong with me - so if anything, I would recommend getting help for your anxiety if you can before it likely gets worse (and becomes a more hellish existence, it's not very fun, huh...?)

Please remind yourself that the chances of you having any sort of cancer at this age is incredibly slim - I have to constantly remind myself too, and I know it's ridiculously hard to do. But if you've had plenty of doctor reassurance so far, I hope you can eventually convince yourself that you're completely alright~ ^-^

'Cause you're okay~
    It's never silly to worry, and it's always hard to live with.
    It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on things you're worried about, but try your best not to let them get to you, and please remember that you're okay~

Take care, young kouhai~ ⊂(´• ω •`⊂)

Hey, Thankyou for your lovely reply I'm sorry to hear about what you went through. yes I know, the chances of oral cancer at 19 is very unlikely but as you may know reassurance doesn't help much ;( it's good that we are all talking to eachother though as we know how we all feel x

Now thanks to Google anyone pretty much can get this . Google never helped nobody

Thread Information