Thread: Freaking out about appointment today

Unhappy Freaking out about appointment today

Hi everyone,

I've been having this issue with my arm/shoulder/neck/chest for months. I wasn't too worried about it, even though it was painful, because unless I view something as potentially serious I don't have the money to be running to doctors. So I was just doing stretches etc. and it did get somewhat better for a while and then it came back in full force. A friend mentioned a certain syndrome to me and gave me some suggestions for stretching. I decided to look up some sleeping positions that might be helpful for this syndrome. Big mistake! I found out that this particular syndrome can either be the nerve kind or the vascular kind, and the vascular kind can cause DVT in the arm! I started freaking out! So, for a week I had no appetite and barely slept until I could get an appointment. I went in last Thursday and he said it was probably the nerve and/or musculoskeletal and recommended we do some stuff for that before we go in for testing. I explained that I was concerned about blood clots and worried about waiting but he kind of blew me off. So, I let him do the therapies and went home and worried all weekend. After a particularly strenuous day yesterday my whole upper arm/chest area started burning. It went on for hours until I fell asleep. I literally just laid there shaking and palpating my arm to see if I felt any lumps. I found a small one which, if I'm realistic, I also seem to have on the other arm except for the one on my painful arm if bigger. :( I finally fell asleep but the stress has caused my IBS to back up and I'm just a mess! I'm allergic to practically every medication out there and my fear of blood clots is not only the medication and reaction to it, but the potential pulmonary embolism. This has been a fear of mine for so long, and to hear I might have a condition where it is possible is the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced.
    I go in for another appointment today and I am practically going to demand the testing. I'm scared he will say no but equally as scared to have it done. I don't know what I would do if it were positive. I just think I might die of fear. :(
    I just needed to come here and type this out because no one else understands and I needed to get it out.
    Thanks for reading.

ETA: I tell myself that I've had this arm pain for 9 months, and if there were a blood clot I'd likely have known by now. BUT then I tell myself that the clot could have recently formed due to the syndrome and/or the reason it's worse again is because a clot has formed. :(
    Last edited by Kimberleaf; 25-09-17 at 20:16. Reason: more info

Re: Freaking out about appointment today

I went through an arm obsession a couple of years ago until a gp told me I was a hypochondriac and then the arm pain went away. Coincidence?? You're just focusing too hard on a likely benign issue probably. I thought my arm pain was bone metastasis

Thread Information