Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoloft/Sertraline?

Zoloft/Sertraline?

I just started Zoloft, anyone has experience with it? It's kicking my tail currently, looking for some encouragement.

Re: Zoloft/Sertraline?

Mr Ginger - Sorry you're having a hard time of it friend. But is very typical especially in yhe beginning with Zoloft. it can be a very effective drug for many but the drawback is it takes a while to take hold and can actually increase one's anxiety initially. I'm not sure what kind of dosage you started on but typically it is around 25 mg then increased from there. some people increase very very slowly maybe only 6.25 mg increase. Others can increase more rapidly. It isn't cookie cutter. the thing about it is many people give up before they actually feel the benefits of the medication. So you have to really try to hang in there with it. Just know that it isn't going to kill you or harm you physically in any way.

N.

I appreciate the encouragement. I've had moments where I felt its positive effects, but the initial side effects, shaking, nausea, anxiety, and insomnia are just gross to deal with. Hanging in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGinger View Post
    I appreciate the encouragement. I've had moments where I felt its positive effects, but the initial side effects, shaking, nausea, anxiety, and insomnia are just gross to deal with. Hanging in there though.
    Keep us updated, I’m sure the side effects will subside over time. It’s good your doing this for yourself, it’s a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGinger View Post
    I just started Zoloft, anyone has experience with it? It's kicking my tail currently, looking for some encouragement.
    ADs you always feel worse before better

Hello Mr Ginger. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time on Zoloft/Sertraline. I've been on this twice and it worked each time, but the first time did give me awful side effects for the first four weeks or so. After that I did get much better and the side effects disappeared! Worst effects were insomnia, poor appetite and increased anxiety, but these didn't last!

I remember going to the doctors in a panic with all this going on and he said I could come off them and try something else, but I'd have to go through it all again with a gap after coming off sertraline. In the end I stuck with it and it was one of the best decisions I ever made as it massively helped me cope at a really difficult time in my life.

It is really tough that these SSRI drugs make life harder before you get the therapeutic benefit, but the end results are usually worth it. Just get as much support as you can until the drug 'kicks in'. You'd be extremely lucky if you felt any benefit straight away.

You all have helped so much, thank you all. I really appreciate it.

It's what we do

Hi I'm new to this website so please bear with me. I've had anxiety problems pretty much all my adult life. I've been on 5mg of escitralopram for several years but earlier this year my doctor increased it to 10mg which didn't help my anxiety. He then prescribed sertraline 100mg (with me having taken 10mg of escitralopram he thought 100mg would be ok. To cut a long story short, I'm just on my 8th week. Week 5 thought we're getting better, but I seem to be going backwards. I did lose a close friend to cancer last week so it maybe that which causes this increased anxiety. Mornings are my worst time. Should I give sertraline a couple more weeks? Just want to wake up in the mornings and not have a knotted stomach.

...this is just my opinion...but I think he started you on too high a dosage. When I took sert my dr. started me on 50 and I thought I was going to jump out the window. Like you my mornings were the toughest. You could cut back to 50 and work up from there. I went to 25 then went up slowly. But know that sert takes some time to work. More than a few weeks. To get the full therapeutic effects of the medication can take from 6 months to a year. That's not to say you won't feel some benefits long before that...you most likely will. So yes I would plan on giving it a good long try (6 months min.) Hang in there.

N.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information