Thread: Capgrass syndrome and tremors/ early onset Parkinson's

Capgrass syndrome and tremors/ early onset Parkinson's

When I was younger ( about 7-8) I believed my dad was an imposter which I have since learnt is capgrass syndrome ... linked to OCD. I am now worried that my internal and external tremors might be due to early onset Parkinson's which ties into my telemeres health anxiety theme. Ha anyone experienced this?

Re: Capgrass syndrome and tremors/ early onset Parkinson's

With all due respect how do you convince yourself of all these things? I have seen your post history and I don't think you have one of those illnesses does that not tell you something?

Parkisons symptoms can start at 40, mostly 50, not sure of your age but I'm sure you don't have it, it isn't that common in the UK.

You really need to stop googling, you're going to make yourself worse, have some self control and stop looking for problems that aren't there.

I'm going to link the other thread in here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...73#post1721773

Where OCD comes into something like this is more fear of serious mental illness or physical illness, both HA areas. Some OCDers have more mental health fears than physical ones (Schiz OCD being one theme often found) but it can be vice versa or mixed.

Beware looking back on things from childhood with adult eyes. We misinterpret things, especially when anxious and making false links between stuff. Been there, done that! I think you will know that even if it were what you fear, would it take all these years to progress? And why did no one pick up on your strange behaviour, people can't mis it with delusions.

My parents were blind to my OCD as a child so I can believe they were also ignorant to my delusions if that's what it was. If the same areas of the brain are active in both schizophrenia, OCD and degenerative brain disorders then wouldn't it be scientifically plausible for degeneration of the brain and early degenerative disease to have health anxiety OCD as a precursor?

HA isn't OCD, themes within OCD are not medical terms as they have been created by sufferers to better explain them. Doctors work on the obsession, compulsion, mixed form the OCD takes. Therefore OCD is OCD in terms of theme, so the theme wouldn't matter to whether you could also develop schizophrenia but I think you are going down that route like anyone else who fears schizophrenia on here in that they are looking to prove it "could" happen. I'm yet to come across an OCDer who has developed their feared schizophrenia on here.

And OCD isn't a spectrum disorder, as you mentioned on the other thread, to anyone outside of the APA and people that use the DSM. WHO don't have an OCD Sprectrum Disorders group and most of the world use their ICD. The medical world don't agree on it, there are other areas in mental health they still disagree on too.

It's possible for anyone with an anxiety disorder to reach an age where dementia, Parkinson's, etc become an issue, subject to the constraints of how such a disorder can start & with who.

But the key point you are missing here is - you are looking back and finding an event at age 7, a time when behaviours are different, and trying to link it to symptoms now. But where did it all go between then & now?

Capgras Delusion can be missed, like any delusion has the possibility under the right conditions, but would you just come out of it without treatment? It's far more serious than OCD. Were you trying to convince others your dad was an imposter?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 26-09-17 at 06:30.

Well I would disagree with OCD not being a spectrum based on this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181632/

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

So I guess my question is how do you distinguish between pathological doubt as an OCD characteristic and an actual pathological delusion from a neurological illness. Can and do the two co exsist ?

I would also argue the common bat bite posts are the same level of delusion as a childhood capgrass syndrome episode. So both have to undoubtably be OCD related.
    Last edited by Leah88; 26-09-17 at 07:12.

The argument over compulsion and impulse is one that WHO don't agree with. The latest DSM has moved certain impulse disorders into their spectrum that they already had. But this is purely about categorisation and the DSM & ICD differ on other issues too such Somatoform Disorders where even criteria differ.

Who's right? Dunno, let's see who wins out of all these highly paid psychologists first.

How would doubt work with delusion? The delusion is absolute, that's why it's delusion. Doubt could exist in other areas but not about the subject of the delusion.

How would you distinguish doubt from delusion? You can determine what is doubt. You wouldn't even realise the delusion. Just like in psychosis, you would be immersed in it believing it to be true.

But let's not forget you are trying to use a perceived episode of something from the age of 7 to now. Where did the neurological disease go in all that time? How can that be plausible?

---------- Post added at 07:21 ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leah88 View Post

I would also argue the common bat bite posts are the same level of delusion as a childhood capgrass syndrome episode. So both have to undoubtably be OCD related.
    If that were the case there would be no anxiety disorders.

Delusion is absolute. You wouldn't be wasting your time asking people if it were possible because you would know, without doubt, that it were totally true.

No one on here with a rabies worry has suffered a delusion.

I will bow out in case his convo triggers others. What I disagree with is that Shizoaffective disorders don't Include OCD as they are in fact clinically labelled under them. I am only curious to what effect the same proven neurological pathways present in early onset dementia, Parkinson's etc. would manifest. OCD may or may not ( depending on the phenotype involved) develop into more serious neurological disease. I wouldn't compare it for instance to anxiety palpitations turning into cvd as they don't share genetic pathways. They may mutually exsist but not through shared pathology. OCD, schizophrenia and degenerative neurological disease does however share common alleles, proteins, aminos etc which activate the exact same areas of the brain. And this is why I worry.
    Last edited by Leah88; 26-09-17 at 08:08.

I take it you are not medically trained but have devoted a lot of time to reading up about complex neurological disorders which stimulate your HA into overdrive? Acquiring "knowledge" never helps because it's dynamite to those not trained to apply it appropriately.

Why not follow your psychologist's advice?

You are both probably right.

Thread Information