Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really upset

Really upset

I took my elderly gerbil Primrose to the vets to get her teeth checked on Wednesday and during the examination on the table she jumped out of the vet's hands and landed on the floor. She has broken her leg.
    I am syringing painkillers (metacam) twice a day but I'm not confident that she will make it although she is quite active and bright. Ironically her teeth were fine.
    I love animals but am a hopeless owner because I worry too much when there are problems. I really hope Primrose recovers but I'll have to make a decision over the weekend if she is really struggling..
    I'd really appreciate a bit of advice but please no horrible comments re vermin etc. Thanks for reading.

Re: Really upset

Oh Pulisa I am so sorry.

Definitely not vermin, I love gerbils, they are amazing pets.

I have no experience of broken limbs in small furries but be led by your vet.

The metacam will reduce inflamation and help with the pain.

I am the same with my pets, full of no nonsense advice for others but turn into a gibbering wreck when it is one of mine.

I really hope that Primrose starts to heal soon.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Very sorry to hear this Pulisa. Know from your previous posts how much you care for animals and your pets. You will know the right thing to do re Primrose's survival. Really hope she pulls through. You are a loving owner whatever happens though.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi there , it doesn't matter how big or what animal it is when you take them on they are one of the family , metacam can be quite harsh my dog had it for his arthritis so very small dose , any blood in the stool or urine stop using it , I learned the hard way that sometimes it's better and kinder to let them go , when my current dogs get old I will be better equipped to make that hard decision , it won't make it any easier though , hope it gets better . Take care

Thank you so much for your wonderful support-it means a lot. I'm a gibbering wreck but know I have to get my act together. I'll get a second opinion tomorrow if I'm not happy with how she is-I can't bear to see any animal suffering. The metacam dose is 0.004 mls. Buster, so I need my specs and a very steady hand!!

Thank you again xx

Oh no! Sorry to read this. Hoping for a good outcome for you xx

Is your hammy still eating and drinking, pooping and peeing and bright eyed? If so then she should recover given time and pain relief. There's not much that can be done with broken bones in small furries, but they normally heal pretty quickly and without any lasting ill effects. If you are really worried I can speak to my friend who runs a hamster rescue and has nursed many a sick hammy back to full health

She's actually a gerbil, Mojo, but I'm sure she shares the same healthcare criteria as a hamster. She's not eating terribly well and I'm sure it's her teeth but the vet said they were fine. Trouble is there are no decent exotics vets near me. I have started syringing oxbow critical care this evening and she's happy to take it. She stopped chewing her wooden blocks plus cardboard toilet rolls which made me make the vet appointment in the first place.

I'll have to see what the morning brings but thank you so much.

Just a small bit of advise , we had to give our dog metacam for two years before we list him and it isn't cheap , the vets wanted £50 a bottle but most chemists will get it for you and ours did it for £11 , bloody animals break our hearts said I couldn't go through it again but here we are three rescues in the house again .
    Take care

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    She's actually a gerbil, Mojo, but I'm sure she shares the same healthcare criteria as a hamster. She's not eating terribly well and I'm sure it's her teeth but the vet said they were fine. Trouble is there are no decent exotics vets near me. I have started syringing oxbow critical care this evening and she's happy to take it. She stopped chewing her wooden blocks plus cardboard toilet rolls which made me make the vet appointment in the first place.

I'll have to see what the morning brings but thank you so much.
    Oh I am sorry for the mix up Pulisa!

So did they put her under GA to look at her teeth?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information