Thread: Trigger points in chest and back? Dull aches are making me worry...

Trigger points in chest and back? Dull aches are making me worry...

Hey guys,

It's been so long since I've been here and I actually had a several-month-long stretch where I was doing really well with managing my HA.

I've had some life changes (stressful, in good and different ways) and I think the uncertainty in my life has caused my HA to really ramp up again.

I've been having chiropractic issues on my right side for some time due to overuse and repetitive movements (had a desk job using my keyboard and mouse all the time, as well as did a bunch of crafts with my right hand extended out for long lengths of time) - once in a while I get muscle trigger point "attacks" where things get really tight and spasmy. It can cause a lot of weird symptoms and aches from my neck all the way down to below my shoulder blade, and it's taken me a long time to unravel what can be caused by these trigger points when it does happen.

Fast forward to the last week or so, I've been having a strong ache in my chest, a bit to the right of my sternum, above the breast, I suppose in the pec muscle. It aches strongly but it feels muscular. It seems to be radiating to my mid back as well, just under the shoulder blade where my trigger point in my back normally is. It's very tender and of course I've been poking and massaging and making it more sore - although it almost feels like a good hurt to press on it.

I don't feel a specific lump in my breast or chest but it does feel larger/swollen on the right side. I also don't like to self-examine too much because I start to really freak out and get carried away looking for symmetry in whatever I'm examining and thinking I feel things. I can't stop fearing breast or lung cancer right now. I haven't been to the OBGYN in a few years out of fear and I'm convinced I've let a misdiagnosed tumor go and now I'm feeling pain.

I know on one hand it's irrational, but I'm really consumed with fear right now! I've been trying to massage my chest above the breast, my shoulder, and back with a Theracane deep tissue massager, and it seems to help, but now I can stop thinking about how I've been feeling this discomfort for a while but didn't put it together until now (felt some discomfort in my breast when trying to lay on my right side, for example.)

I thought I was making strides and my HA has really reared it's ugly head!
    Last edited by artist12; 01-10-17 at 01:42. Reason: Clarified sentence

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

Re: Trigger points in chest and back? Dull aches are making me worry...

Don't despair! You got through HA once, you can do it again. There same thing that helped the first time will work this time. I totally get it. My life is in a bit of upheaval right now, and my mind is primed to go into HA mode. So I'm working my plan - for me that's watching my breathing, meditating, keeping up with yoga, and exercising. It's also avoiding that want to check - which you mentioned. You know what this is, so you can do it.

If the massage is helping, keep doing it. But be careful not to over do it - that can make you more sore - that will certainly up your HA. Talk to your chiropractor next appointment. You may even want to go to your GP or OBGYN. But frame this in terms of discomfort relief not that there's anything truly threatening going on in your body. You got this.
    Last edited by EKB; 01-10-17 at 19:56.

Thread Information