Thread: stressing about taking citalopram again

stressing about taking citalopram again

Hi All

A couple of years ago I managed to make a bit of a mess of everything; severe bout of depression and anxiety brought on by a new job I wasn't enjoying, ended up quitting with no new job to go to rather than dealing with it, and spent a few months sorting myself out, unemployed.

GP gave me Amitriptyline for initial insomnia, than citalopram 10mg . A few months later I got a decent job and everything seemed good. I kept taking the cit for another 7 months after starting, then came off it relatively easily.

Now recently, there has been a slight change in my work situation, nothing too drastic but it brought out the old anxiety. I'm a terrible sleeper, and Insomnia is my number one problem. I get a cycle of sleeping badly, so feel I don't perform at work, which stresses me and then more insomnia.

So I went to the doc and explained and said I wouldn't mind going back on the CIT as it helped a lot last time. This is sort of a pre-emptive move, my anxiety is not as bad as it was previously but I am just keen to avoid any drastic measures like quitting my job! She said OK, also recommended me some CBT and mentioned mindfulness (which I have tried and found to be a waste of time.)

So I started the CIT yesterday and.....INSOMNIA, which I know is a common side effect, but it has actually made me more anxious as I'm thinking if I wasn't taking CIT I'd be sleeping better and worried how that I have made a poor choice here!

Sorry to go on and on, I was just wondering if anyone has used cit in this sort of pre-emptive way before? How long did the insomnia last for people that went back to it? Should I maybe stop before getting too committed it it? Thanks.

Re: stressing about taking citalopram again

I have just started taking citalopram a few weeks ago and thankfully only had the insomnia for a night or two.

Are you able to take some time off work at all? Just while the pills settle in. I'm sure this will pass soon. Personally I'd stick with it for a month or so. It'll be tough but you've had good results with CIT in the past. For me it's worth the initial side effects

Thanks for the reply Ange.

Well if I just have insomnia for a couple of nights I'm sure it will be ok. I remember this happened last time I took cit, but I wasn't working I didn't really mind, for the life of me can't remember how long it lasted though.

Sadly I can't take any time off at the minute, would have been a good idea but it's not possible in October. Got some time booked in November, which I will cling onto if things get difficult.

I hope you start to feel rested soon. In the meantime just try and sneak a nap in here and there when you can. Don't worry about what time it is.

It might be worth keeping a diary too so you can refer back to these side effects in the future. Insomnia plus SSRI's can make me lose my normal sense of time

Never take a med because you think you may get ill, or its liable to make you ill.With meds you cannot take them to prevent an illness only to help, relieve it.10mg is only a starter dose, 20mg is the therapeutic.

Thread Information