Thread: Started venlaflaxine...now hyperventilating?

Started venlaflaxine...now hyperventilating?

Just started 150 mg ven xr two weeks ago and woke up hyperventilating tonight. Can this drug cause this?
    I'm worried because this was part of my initial problem a year and a half ago...pregnancy hormones quickened my breathing which caused panic (this happened to me with every pregnancy). I miscarried, doc prescribed meds, and eventually problem mostly went away. But I switched meds to ven due to deep depression several weeks ago and now the breathing problem is back!
    Can anyone tell me, did ven cause them breathing problems in beginning, and if so, does it go away?
    Thanks so much,
    Kristen

Re: Started venlaflaxine...now hyperventilating?

Venlafaxine doesn't cause hyperventilation. You were most likely panicking from being scared of starting a new medication. Personally, I've found the medication very helpful in dealing with my depersonalisation and panic attacks; Venlafaxine really helps, give it a chance.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is so good to hear that it has helped you. It's been a little over two weeks, and if anything, I feel worse. But I know it can take some time to kick in. How long did it take for you to feel better?

Anxiety is a side effect of venlafaxine at the beginning but wears off. Ride it out and you'll be fine.

It took me about 6 weeks, so you're still in the very early stages. I'm really pleased with the medication as it's decreased my anxiety and has reduced the duration of my panic attacks. Most of all, though, it's helped me cope with depersonalisation, which is a big issue of mine. Don't worry if you're anxious now as sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

I tried Effexor for two weeks and experienced panic attacks, so stopped it. Maybe it would have really helped me? I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder AND depression! Lexepro isn't really helping as much as I would like it to. Anna- do you find that Effexor is calming down your mind?

Yes, definitely so. It makes me dwell on things less, and it's decreased the amount of time I spent panicking and feeling anxious about things. I still need to talk to my therapist about a dosage increase as it appears to not be working as well as the lower dose did... Either that or I need an even higher dose! I'd need it mainly for depersonalisation, which is a major hindrance at the moment.

Okay, I may look into taking Effexor again and riding out the increased anxiety at the beginning.

Every time I've increased the dose, I've had higher anxiety, so it's nothing to worry about. I'd like to definitely stick with this medication, maybe increase the dose by a bit too as I feel like I need just a little bit more for it to work better.

Thread Information