Thread: Sensorimotor OCD

Sensorimotor OCD

Hi guys,

I hope what I discuss in this post isn't triggering for any of you. That's the last thing I want! I was just wondering if anyone suffers from this? A while back I had problems with swallowing due to a fear of choking, and every time I swallowed, the action felt conscious. It was also related to my breathing back when my panic attacks first started (when I was about 14).

I had CBT and the panic and OCD went away for about three years (I've posted about my relapse elsewhere). But recently the breathing thing came back and I fear doing anything where I won't be able to "feel" myself breathing. That being said, I hate exercise because then I feel out of control.

It's so strange because I've spoken to so many people about this and they've told me that their breathing literally NEVER occurs to them. This is particularly bothersome because it leads to over breathing and then hyperventilation and then panic attacks which make everything worse. I'm on a waiting list for CBT but I just want these thoughts to go away!!
    Anyone else struggling from this? If so, do you have any tips? Distracting myself only half works (believe me, I feel like I've tried everything).

Re: Sensorimotor OCD

I've had this one too. As a child I used to be obsessed with my breathing fearing I'd never get my mind out of it. Of course this wasn't the case. I soon dropped the whole obsession and my breathing felt normal again.

I've also been obsessed with many other bodily functions. What I've learned is that obsession is kept alive by a set of beliefs and compulsive behavior. Have you ever thought that it isn't dangerous to be occupied with your breath. Many meditators would be jealous if they heard you spend all your time focusing on your breathing It might feel bothersome but it's like that only because you believe focusing on your breath means something catastrophical. I suppose you do a lot of avoidance and other compulsive behaviors trying to get rid of that thought? Find out what your compulsions are and start to cut them out. Don't fight the obsession. Fight the compulsions. You can still do all the things you value with having the focus on your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Juustopallo View Post
    I've had this one too. As a child I used to be obsessed with my breathing fearing I'd never get my mind out of it. Of course this wasn't the case. I soon dropped the whole obsession and my breathing felt normal again.

I've also been obsessed with many other bodily functions. What I've learned is that obsession is kept alive by a set of beliefs and compulsive behavior. Have you ever thought that it isn't dangerous to be occupied with your breath. Many meditators would be jealous if they heard you spend all your time focusing on your breathing It might feel bothersome but it's like that only because you believe focusing on your breath means something catastrophical. I suppose you do a lot of avoidance and other compulsive behaviors trying to get rid of that thought? Find out what your compulsions are and start to cut them out. Don't fight the obsession. Fight the compulsions. You can still do all the things you value with having the focus on your breath.
    You are amazing. I've been struggling with the sensorimotor breathing for 2 weeks or so and it has led to some incredibly severe anxiety that something was totally wrong with my brain and that I would be stuck this way. When I hear the words OCD, it immediately brings panic into my mind, because it seems so unconquerable to me. But I don't know much about it, aside from stories you hear or see on TV shows.

I also had a thought the other night while trying to sleep, "What if I also begin to focus on my blinking/swallowing?" And sure enough, I began to focus on them on and off. Luckily, they don't seem to stay all the time and I am somewhat able to distract away from them, albeit accidentally.

Is this something I should see a therapist about?

When your themes are changing, you can tell it's definitely OCD. OCD is a highly treatable condition but it takes some willpower to be overcome. When the themes change, don't freak out. Nothing new arised. You managed to get over your previous obsessions, why wouldn't you be able to get over the new ones as well? Of course your OCD-mind will tell you otherwise, but you don't have to believe it. What matters is what we do. You don't have to "feel just right" or get rid of the disturbing thoughts before doing the things you love and value. By engaging yourself in the thigs you value while resisting the compulsive behaviors, you start to create distance between yourself and the obsessive thoughts. Soon you'll find out that what once used to drive you panicy, seems just funny.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is the number 1 treatment for OCD. Talk therapy might feel comforting but it doesn't do any good for OCD. While you might feel analyzing the problem will solve it, analyzing the OCD-thoughts only makes them worse. I speak from my own experience. Make sure to get a therapist who has succesfully treated OCD succesfully before. Don't be afraid to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveAboveIt View Post
    You are amazing. I've been struggling with the sensorimotor breathing for 2 weeks or so and it has led to some incredibly severe anxiety that something was totally wrong with my brain and that I would be stuck this way. When I hear the words OCD, it immediately brings panic into my mind, because it seems so unconquerable to me. But I don't know much about it, aside from stories you hear or see on TV shows.

I also had a thought the other night while trying to sleep, "What if I also begin to focus on my blinking/swallowing?" And sure enough, I began to focus on them on and off. Luckily, they don't seem to stay all the time and I am somewhat able to distract away from them, albeit accidentally.

Is this something I should see a therapist about?

Ha wow, I was just laying here in bed and trying to sleep and though of the swallowing thing! The swallowing never affected me before but since it was in the forefront of my mind when trying to sleep it was making me anxious. Typical, when I get something “new” in my head it can affect me heavily for about a day before I move on it assign it less priority and forget.

Glad I came on here, some good advice in this thread.

Personally I had the breathing awareness/ocd thing bad back when I was around 11-13. Looking back, i now know i was suffering from panic attacks and severe anxiety at that age. At that time, I was too young to know about anxiety and panic attacks. I remember having random panic attacks and feeling horrible anxiety . But I remember my mom telling me not to worry and that was that, I was free.

It’s all come back after I had a bad panic attack one night. Now as an adult I can apply logic and say, I know this is nothing to worry about but it seems like it’s become so much more rooted in.

I can say that I am acutely aware if my breathing at all times, and I mean all times. The last time I Remembered not being aware of breathing was when I was pulled over for speeding and talking with the state trooper.

Its irritating but I am more accustomed to these obsessions now and they seem to create less strsss than previously. Though I would still love to be cured as they are a constant reminder of my anxiety.

Thread Information