Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoarse voice????

Hoarse voice????

Hi again

Currently in week three of an anxiety bout! Have been worrying about all sorts of health issues, which are mainly centred around cancer fears. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of my current worry? Before the anxiety started I noticed that my voice was getting a little hoarse now and then and although I kept thinking it might be something horrible I managed to push it away. Over the last few weeks my anxiety has come back and I have been all over the place and over the last couple of days I have noticed that my voice sounds really strained and hoarse. I told my doctor and he thinks it is anxiety related! I am so worried that it is cancer of the throat/larynx/lung area. Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks
    Sarah x

Re: Hoarse voice????

I also get the hoarse voice while anxious. I always feel like my throat is a little scratchy. I think it has to do with allergies. I know my allergies are a ton worse when I am going through an anxiety bout. I am also going through a rough patch, maybe it is just that time of year. It will pass.

-- Anonymous

I used to get this and realised that when I was anxious I would tend to clear my throat and swallow alot more than usual. I started to pay closer attention when I was anxious not to do those things and the hoarsness and sourness went away.

Hope you feel better soon hun
    xxx
    Sandy

oh my god i dont belive it i only went today to see my gp over the same thing its been going on for months and im convinced it is cancer im also getting a very dry mouth and bringing up alot of acid which has givin me a sore tongue do u ever get hiccups as this is another problem i have. i so convinced i have the big c.how long have you had this and do u smoke

Hiya
    I don't smoke, but I do seem to have a lot of horrible stuff continually going down my throat. I've had that for a long time though and never had a hoarse voice. What did your doc say miss motown? I am currently off work with anxiety and have started taken Citalopram again. My doctor seemed very unconcerned! The trouble is googled hoarse voice and scared myself. Determined to stop doing that!

Have you had your thyroid tested? A hoarse voice can indicate an underactive thyroid. A simple blood test will tell you.

Josephinex

Angry Re: Hoarse voice????

HI, my voice has been like this for a couple of months. Deep down I know its all related to anxiety and also the citralopram seems to make your mouth dry as well.Ialso swallow constantly checking for the old lump in the throat. On bad days I still think its cancer. Keep telling yourself its not and one day it will not be there. It may come back which is hard to deal with but one day we may both be free.Love Imogen

I had a hoarse voice for three months. It was something totally harmless called "vocal nodules". This is basically like some hard skin on the vocal cords, caused either by talking too much (me!) or being in a smokey atmosphere. They clear up in time. I had been doing lots of presentations at work without drinking enough water. Apparently teachers get this all the time (all that shouting at their pupils!) and it's really nothing to worry about.

When you are anxious your throat goes dry (think about it, if you ever have to do a presentation your mouth goes dry and you need a drink of water). So drink lots of water as otherwise even talking when anxious strains your vocal cords and causes these nodules. Mine totally cleared up on their own and I have had no problems for years now

Hope you get better soon

I had this one last summer! I would talk and suddenly my throat would go tickly and almost every other sentence my voice would go scratchy. I also found if I tried 'singing' my throat felt like ti was scratching above certain notes. Well, I spent ages like that and them by Winter, I'd somehow forgotten about it and my voice was normal. It comes back every now and then but doesn't bother me at all.

Incidentally, later on I also had a cough that didn't go away and wheezing. Can you imagine how convinced I was then?? All fine though.

You're fine - I'm sure doctors would recognise true horaseness straight away.

hi hun my gp also didnt seem that concerned when i told her she says its anxiety i did tell her my fears of throat cancer and she just laughed it off and told me not to be silly i still have this and im still very worried ive now been intouch with bupa and im waiting on an appointment ill give you an update when ive been and had all my tests take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information