Thread: Anti-Depressants?

Unhappy Anti-Depressants?

I've suffered panic attacks for the last ten years, up until recently I had them under control, now I'm struggling with them.

I'm currently grieving for my mum and I've become extremely depressed, losing my mum hasn't been the only bad event in my life recently, it seems everything if beginning to pile up on me, I feel like I'm just gonna crack any second...

My doctor wants me to take Anti-depressants, but I'm scared
    that I may become dependent on them, or that I'll have some reaction to them, or that it will just mask my problems and I'll just be stuck feeling like this forever, I'm also afraid that if I'm prescribed these pills that I'll take them all at once, as I'm having sucidal thoughts on a regular basis, but haven't told my doctor?

I need some advice

Re: Anti-Depressants?

Hi

Anti-depressant can be a worry for a lot of people, me included I asked my G.P to prescribe something non addictive and a low dosage, I also asked for a mild sedative something i could take when it got a bit too much, I took it as and when i needed to so there was no set routine,,
    It worked for me 18months later the only thing i take is a mild beta blocker as and when i need to which ( which is very rarely )

Secondly I too have thoughts of self harm including taking too many pills, I never did and neither will you, simply because your worried bout doing it tells me it wont happen

Good luck

Michelle

Hi Manda

Im so sorry about the loss of your mother, you have every reason to be feeling so low and really should tell your doctor the whole story about the way you feel., he is there to help you.
    Do you have a partner who could give you the pills as and when needed ?
    Or a friend ?

Please remember you will not be stuck feeling like this forever, I wish you all the best and please let us know how you are doing.

take care

Hi Manda,
    I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. As the others have advised, I think you should be totally honest with your doctor and tell him the whole story. I really think some counselling might help you alongside the medication to prevent you feeling that you have become dependent on the pills. Meds can act as a support but they won't take away the source of your problems nor stop the natural grieving process. As Mirry says, I would try and give the pills to someone you trust who can make sure you only take one a day. Bear in mind that these medications can take several months to take effect so don't expect any miracle cures. And when you come off the meds, you have to take it slowly and do it in stages rather than come off all at once, otherwise you can experience unpleasant side effects. Different meds do different things to different ppl, so just because some people experience side effects doesn't mean you will.

Hey Sarah,
    i'm so sorry about the loss of your Mum that's awful. I have panic disorder and major depression as well as a few other minor worries, but I was put on anti depressants. I'm a psych student so I was hesitant to take them because i had it drummed into me how potentially addictive they can be, and the suicidal impulse was also pretty bad; but it's very unlikely you would be prescribed enough to overdose and I can tell you it may help. It was hard for the first two weeks, my panic attacks got worse for the first week, but I've been on them for three weeks now and I've had my first three day stretch with no panic attacks at all. I used to have up to six a day so it's an amazing change! I was put on Zoloft and it's not addictive, I know withdrawal may be difficult but I think of it as a band-aid. I'm on them to give me the added help before i heal...this is all my own opinion however!
    If you decide to go on them, and you have a good GP and a good therapist the first few weeks will be OK, and just remember what ever you do that the people on this forum are here to support you.
    I wish you all the best!

Hi Sarah
    SOrry about the loss of your mum. That's a tough one. Hugs.

Like you I was petrified of Anti-D's for the same reasons you put. For a while I tried many different options with not much success. It was a last resort. But the the modern pills are much different to the older types. I had horrid side effects for the first 2 weeks but gradually as my body got used to them I began to reclaim bits of my life back. Just go for chat with your GP. I also see a councellor and done hynotherapy and see an Osteopath. The pills help you get into a position where you can start to help yourself get better - they don't cure it, but they do help you.

Thread Information