Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireworks

Fireworks

This problem started 3 years ago. I have a dog who because of some extremely loud fireworks one night wouldn't stop barking. I dissolved into a sobbing wreck as this went on for several hours. The fireworks were being set off totally illegally / dangerously but despite this the police wouldn't come out to stop it. The firework season was hell for the next few weeks.

I've dreaded late October to mid November since and I've been getting worked up about the thought of things kicking off again in a couple of weeks. Well it started tonight with a few fireworks being set off and the dog on edge.

This is likely to go on around here until the middle of November now it's started. It used to be one night years ago but nobody cares anymore. Have complained to my MP who basically doesn't care.

There's nothing I can do other than trying to keep the dog as calm as possible which isn't helped when I'm stressed out and basically disintegrating.

Just feel so scared and hate this time of year now. Don't want to go out because I'm worried how the dog is if and when the fireworks start.

This on top of general anxiety and depression!

Not sure what I'm expecting people to say but it helps to write this out! Trying to stay strong but really feel like giving up on everything!

Re: Fireworks

Hi , one of my dogs is terrified my old one would sit outside and watch them , I agree they go on way to long now some even in the day what the f&@k you can't even see them , I'm
    Ok with them so I can't help with that but my dog I've worked out turn up the tv or radio shut the curtains and the hard one don't comfort them and draw more attention to it it just makes them worse , I give her a cover and just ignore her and she settles down much quicker, it only took about 8 years to work that out , take care , ps my two are pushing me off the sofa I'll end up on the floor before them .

Hi Polar Bear yeah can totally relate my dog hates them but over the years will tolerate them a lot better and for some years have been using Rescue Remedy you may have heard of it I recommend it totally safe and 100% herbal based give it try no side affects either and yeah totally agree they shouldnot be on sale this early either Ahh Cheers

This is the trouble with fireworks.....it's not just one night any more, it can go on for weeks.

I would talk to your vet and see if they can help. There is a natural calmer they have called
    Zylkene and many people swear by it. But yes, curtains drawn, tv up as loud as you can take it.
    One of mine hates bangs and will bolt if given the chance :( I just create more household noises to help her, yet I also have others who will go for walks surrounded by fireworks and don't even register them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    This is the trouble with fireworks.....it's not just one night any more, it can go on for weeks.

I would talk to your vet and see if they can help. There is a natural calmer they have called
    Zylkene and many people swear by it. But yes, curtains drawn, tv up as loud as you can take it.
    One of mine hates bangs and will bolt if given the chance :( I just create more household noises to help her, yet I also have others who will go for walks surrounded by fireworks and don't even register them.
    Tell me about it about 3 weeks ago loads went off my Stafford 4 years ago would have gone mad but with a combination of rescue remedy and me as a trusted pack leader is working wonders just by putting my hand to my ear saying listen it's ok in a calm voice another way is simply turn the negative in to a positive it could be a fav toy some extra play time all these things are worth trying my staff used to bolt years back if she heard a loud exhaust that the numpties have fitted to their cars now I just say listen its gone dogs are cleverer then we give them credit for and thats a fact Cheers

Thanks everyone. Yes I think we have to start to gear up now and get one of the natural calmers and start to shut things out in the evenings with curtains, tv and radio and playing Sorry to hear you have all had these problems as well.

I definitely need to try to stay calm and not react as this has made things worse. I've just got into this vicious circle of making the dog worse and that stressing me more. They are cleverer than we think and mine is definitely picking up on my mood. I'm anticipating the problem all the time now and need to try to relax when I can and face things when they happen. I'm crossing bridges before I come to them and thinking the worse.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted how we are doing.

I couldnt agree more. One night I can cope with its the randoms that go off that are so hard to deal with.

Have a look on line at body wrap and half wrap. I use a knitted scarf on my dogs to do the wrap and it really does help,

Valarian is a good natural product and can be used daily as can Zylkene.

For the predictable nights I try to walk as early as I can then feed a heavy starchy meal to help everyone feel a bit sleepy.

There is no need to ignore your dog, if it wants comfort by all means do. Refusing to comfort is old thinking and has been scientifically proved to be pointless.

I am hoping to go away this year for a few days around the 5th when it will be like being in the middle of a battlefield here.

It is horrible and very stressful knowing that your pet is scared witless and there is nothing you can do. It makes you feel so helpless.

Thanks Elen

Yes just feel so helpless. Thanks for the further tips on things to do. Agree with you on the randomness of it all being a big problem. Was expecting it all to kick off in a couple of weeks so last night surprised and worried me.

Will get a strategy in place to try to get through the next month or so.

I think it's very difficult sometimes not knowing what to do and still believe (although it is dependant on the individual dog) stroking your dog can actually make it worse especially if it's shaking I know I have done it they shake even more, which reinforces the problem not saying every dog will react in the same manner etc but do take note of this Also the Rescue Remedy is more potent in the water bowl the dosage isn't weight dependent either 5 drops in the drinking water or directly on the tounge I still have some left, but for the last few years haven't needed it and my dog now lies at the side of the sofa when fire works go off but they are a nuisance with out a doubt.Cheers

A quick update on the fireworks problem.

After my last post it went quiet until it really kicked off last night so I'm sure we will have a few weeks of this from now.

Tried to shut all the doors and curtains to shut out as much as we could.

Have bought the dog a "thunder shirt" (same as wrapping something around her) which is helping. Also trying to keep her distracted as much as possible. She is getting better as although she reacts she does calm down more quickly in between if the noise stops at all.

Expecting worse to come but we have booked a week away in a remote cottage which includes the 5th November and that weekend so that will be useful.

I have to try to stay calm and not react myself (which isn't easy) so wish us luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information