Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depersonalisation crisis

Re: Mini dp sensations

Hi!
    I used to have that a lot when I was like 8-10 years old and they always happened in school where the environment, according to my brain, was not safe.
    In fact, I still have them now with my DPDR. Like, usually my DPDR is quite mild (feeling off and feeling like my vision is slow and feeling like kinda little bit drunk) and sometimes when in school, I get those mini DP attacks that feel like almost panic attacks but now I've learned to control them somehow.
    It truly indicates that something is worse for you and I think you should seek some professional help before it becomes worse.
    All I know about this is that your fight or flight response gets activated in those situations due it it being faulty because, most likely due to your attachment style, but not always.

I've been in therapy since I was 15. I've been on lots of medication so far, and the depersonalisation appears to be a big issue still. Personally, I'd agree with you, Viking, in that it is a sign of things being less than perfect or of my brain perceiving a threat and wanting to remove me from the 'dangerous' reality by making me feel unreal and far from reality.

I sometimes get these weird sensation where the surrounding environment seems kind of unreal/blurred out for a few minutes. Is this what dp is? When I read about it I was a bit surprised as it sounded familiar, although I never thought much of them as they weren't accompanied by fear or anything, as it is in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by brandybuck View Post
    I sometimes get these weird sensation where the surrounding environment seems kind of unreal/blurred out for a few minutes. Is this what dp is? When I read about it I was a bit surprised as it sounded familiar, although I never thought much of them as they weren't accompanied by fear or anything, as it is in most cases.
    Yeah, that could be DPDR attack you are describing and I too often get them without any anxiety or fear, they just kind of pop in out of nowhere and last for a few minutes. It is something wrong with the brain stem region that faulty activates this response (note that this feeling of unreality and all that is normal, but it should only be experienced when dealing with real threat such as an attack) when it shouldn't be activated.

I have exactly the same. But it only triggers anxiety for me when other people feel unreal. It's so terrifiyng at times and I'm not sure how to handle it...

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltRiva View Post
    I have exactly the same. But it only triggers anxiety for me when other people feel unreal. It's so terrifiyng at times and I'm not sure how to handle it...
    Can't really do anything about it. Best thing to do while having that attack is immediate distraction, such as checking your phone or starting to read something. It will pass, but it surely is really really scary. Basically, like going down a rollercoaster but without a rollercoaster or any of that.

I agree with Viking. Distractions work best as otherwise things escalate and it full blown panic ensues.

The sad thing for me is that the solipsism idea bores me and I know it's a stupid theory. The only reason for it's preservation is the impossibility if disproval. But neither can you disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster. It's frustrating how this idea rules my life at the moment.

'Cogito ergo sum' is what keeps me from going insane, though it doesn't prevent the panic attacks. How do you cope with the dp sensations; by not paying too much attention to them? By distracting yourself?

A long time ago there was a solipsis thread in the OCD board that basically disproved the theory completely. I'll try to write a shortened version.
    Basically those are just thoughts. You experience really shit feelings and your subconscious brain is trying to find out why you are feeling so shit so it gives you these ideas, but those are just ideas, not reality. You feel like solipsis theory is real only because you feel bad. Like, you feel bad and you have anxiety and this thought feels real because your anxiety towards it is real, not the thought itself. It's like an OCD obsession and the reason why it feels so true is that anxiety itself is strong emotion which you cannot disprove as it is meant to be indisprovable. Imagine if you get attacked by a bear, you would have so much anxiety that you would be scared straight and you know the situation is real. When you get the same anxiety with DPDR, you also feel that it is real because it is naturally meant to be real. Basically, your brain thinks your dpdr is that bear which is attacking you and gives you the same anxiety which feels real and that's why those thoughts also feel real. Sensations always feel real, but in reality are just inside your brain. When you feel in love, it also feels real no matter the circumstance for example.
    Also, if solipsism theory is real and you're the only one existing, it would mean that you are the creator of everything and you know everything, that would mean you know all the physics, maths, history and everything and you could control everything. If it truly was like that, wouldn't your brain make you feel good as possible, not bad as possible? Could your brain really make up all this math, physics, history and write those Shakespear's plays all by itself? I believe not.
    One more thing from my experience. During my worst DPDR i tried to get a girlfriend and really talked to this one girl for some time, but in the end she dumped me. And after that, another girl i talked to and had a crush rejected me too. If it was truly solipsism, wouldn't it mean I could get either of those girls as my girlfriend? Reality is much different, you are not alone and that is what makes life different. Everyone else feels different and everything cannot be affected by you. Another example, why do I always get bad marks on my maths tests? If i am truly all by myself, wouldn't i know maths as i created them? Yet I still get barely average marks.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information