Thread: Panic disorder which most cases happening after eating.

Panic disorder which most cases happening after eating.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and haven't really done anything like this before. I started having panic attacks around 3 years ago. They only happened when I drank the night before and I didn't even realise what they were at first. A few months later I had one out of the blue (after not drinking) and it suddenly scared the hell out of me. Since then I had more and more until a year passed and I wasn't eating anything because of them.

I eventually went to the doctors and got prescribed 10mg of Citalopram. Things went well and I began to get my confidence and appetite back however there was still always the worry of having more.

Low and behold I had another a few months later and the cycle began again. I got my dose upped to 20mg and the cycle repeated for another few months until I had another. I'm now on 30mg and again started feeling better until I had another a few weeks back. This time I told the doctors that upping my dose won't work but nothing else was suggested.

The worst thing is that I feel anxious after eating because the bloated feeling makes me hot and the pressure on my stomach raises my pulse which in turn makes me have an attack. I can't eat anything unless I'm immediately able to lie down and do something that takes my mind off it so this is making my life a living hell :(. The association with a full stomach means I can't even go out for food as I'll immediately feel anxious about it.

Has anyone else had food related anxiety or gone from Citalopram to another medication with success?

Re: Panic disorder which most cases happening after eating.

Does it happen after you eat anything, however small?

Maybe you could try graizing. I naturally eat like this. My actual meals are small, probably child size portions but I eat small amounts all day. People say whenever they see me I'm always eating I will have a banana, half an hour later, a biscuit, half an hour later, a piece of cheese and so on. It's how I've always eaten, just graizing on small amounts all day.

Do you think this would work for you?

Re: Panic disorder which most cases happening after eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Does it happen after you eat anything, however small?

Maybe you could try graizing. I naturally eat like this. My actual meals are small, probably child size portions but I eat small amounts all day. People say whenever they see me I'm always eating I will have a banana, half an hour later, a biscuit, half an hour later, a piece of cheese and so on. It's how I've always eaten, just graizing on small amounts all day.

Do you think this would work for you?
    It's definitely a huge amount worse after a large meal. I haven't discovered certain foods causing it and as it's all in my head sometimes the smallest meal can make it come on. For example last night I had a grilled chicken breast and about a tablespoon of hummus (tried to avoid fatty foods in case that brought it on) but I still felt anxious.

I am going to keep eating smaller and often though as it seems to be the only way forward. I have been prescribed diazepams but haven't taken any yet, they were an emergency that I keep in my wallet. They seemed to help me at the start knowing I could fall back on them but now I'm too afraid to take them in case they make me anxious! My life is hell lol. If I don't laugh I cry!

Thread Information