Thread: Gastroscopy - Experiene (good)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Gastroscopy - Experiene (good)

So I would first like to thank all the previous posts about the endoscopy procedure because without using those as a calming relief when reading them I think I would have cancelled my appointment.

I have been struggling with acid build up since December 2016 and after jumping through the 'lets see what drugs work' hoops I finally got my appointment booked 3 weeks ago. Now this is were my fear started setting in, just the thought of the word would send me into a sweaty panic.

Today was the day and I can say I have never been more terrified in my life for anything, all I wanted was this day not be here.
    So I get the appointment and once my name was called more panic including shaking. I could not even properly sign my name because I was shaking so much, the nurse was very understanding and gave me a hug which did calm me down. God bless the NHS.

Now I choose to have sedation which if you are nervous I would 100% recommend.

I get to the procedure room and they then spray the anesthetic in my throat twice which gives a sensation of not being able to swallow but you can, I lay down and the sedative gets administered. They are joking that they have three to give me and to count the amount going in. I only get to 2, the next thing I hear is someone telling to breath and the smallest amount of gagging and then I wake up in recovery with a cup of water and some biscuits.

And that's it, I know that when you are in full panic mode reading something like this does not always help but I do hope that my experience will at least resonate with some people. It's no where near as bad as you think it's going to be.

I am glad I conquered the fear and if I would ever have another I would not be as scared at all.

My results came back all clear and was told I needs to find an outlet for my stress.
    Last edited by guiltyspark; 12-10-17 at 18:40. Reason: spelling

Thread Information