Page 128 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1520

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

A trivial issue I have is at work the toilets got blocked both male and female ones but I worry they use plungers I worry they touch the hand soap and if I touch it transfer the germs to my phone? The risk is when I unblock toilets at home I se old soap I don’t use hand soap to transfer germs? It bothers me less as I can’t see it happening but enough to make me feel uneasy?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Some people want rid of it completely, a cure. Some want to manage it so it doesn't upset their lives too much. Both are targets any of us can aim for, it doesn't have to be all or nothing to a cure as it's not always possible for everyone and therapists understand that.

I do understand your issues about spending on private therapy because there are lots if anxiety sufferers out there who have spent thousands, even tends of thousands, on therapists for many years and say they haven't helped. We have to pay the bills to and somehow have a life so it's not throw it all at therapy. And to be honest, not all therapists are good anyway. If one doesn't seem like a fit you may need to consider another and that's advised anyway within these settings. I've often questioned how some therapists keep taking appointments from clients for years who aren't progressing and I feel it's another ethical issue with unscrupulous private individuals in an unregulated sector in the same way plastic surgeons will mutilate you if you have the cash as we see so often in celebs.

If you are at the point then try some self help ways. I don't think you properly understand CBT and exposure work and I don't know whether this is the fault of your therapist. Some are poor at explaining what they are doing. But you don't answer my questions about your understanding of things like exposure so it's hard to know whether you need to spend time educating yourself or they are letting you down. If it is your understanding then you are going to struggle with self help too.

But if we go back to managing you will need to be someone who doesn't do what you are doing on a thread like this. Asking the same question and not looking for the answers yourself. Whether that is a reassurance thing or a validation thing it's unhealthy as it undermines your self confidence.

If you want to reach a point of managing you will need to change your thinking to get there or you will just fall back down these traps again. There are things you can decide you don't need in life as long as you accept they come at the cost of leaving seeds of anxiety in you. Some have to do this and have anxiety all their lives, not 13 years more like 60 years!

What you may need to do is write down what that life would look like. Then you can devise plans to aim for it but do it in small steps because big goals tend to overwhelm.
    Yes I agree with most of this

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    A trivial issue I have is at work the toilets got blocked both male and female ones but I worry they use plungers I worry they touch the hand soap and if I touch it transfer the germs to my phone? The risk is when I unblock toilets at home I se old soap I don’t use hand soap to transfer germs? It bothers me less as I can’t see it happening but enough to make me feel uneasy?
    In a works setting half a dozen people who just used all the door handles might not have bothered washing their hands therefore all you can do is the usual way of dealing with germs. It's also a reason why some people live with antibacterial soaps on their desks these days as it everything has all of a sudden become dirty when the world was always that way...

Go into any pub, public building, public toilet and unless you plan on wearing gloves you will be coming out of there with germs on your hands because of other people.

So, when you consider that should you invest time in worrying about how they unblock toilets? Given the state of work toilets it's something you wouldn't think of as they are a mess anyway and the cleaners shouldn't have to put up with the many animals that seem to use them.

The block is a trigger, it pricks your subconscious to start a cycle. Stop it with logic about how it doesn't matter when you wash your own hands at work.

Yes I agree with most of this
    The thing is, phil, it would help if you would talk about your understanding of things like exposure because I'm not the only one who thinks you are viewing it incorrectly for whatever reason. Knowing why helps us explain to try to help otherwise we aren't sure where the issue is.

I expect you have to wash your hands frequently at work, Phil? Does your boss comment on the amount of time you spend away from the work floor?

I do think you struggle with understanding about anxiety and difficult emotions and it's not surprising that conventional CBT has little impact. I hope your new psychiatrist has more insight into how things appear to be and can be more realistic in terms of future therapy.

In a works setting half a dozen people who just used all the door handles might not have bothered washing their hands therefore all you can do is the usual way of dealing with germs. It's also a reason why some people live with antibacterial soaps on their desks these days as it everything has all of a sudden become dirty when the world was always that way...

Go into any pub, public building, public toilet and unless you plan on wearing gloves you will be coming out of there with germs on your hands because of other people.

So, when you consider that should you invest time in worrying about how they unblock toilets? Given the state of work toilets it's something you wouldn't think of as they are a mess anyway and the cleaners shouldn't have to put up with the many animals that seem to use them.

The block is a trigger, it pricks your subconscious to start a cycle. Stop it with logic about how it doesn't matter when you wash your own hands at work.
    Yes I get that I mean pub toilets probably get blocked often so there hand soap may be dirty too. I worked as a cleaner many years ago and and had to clean stuff but never too often toilets more touching rubbish and stuff it never bothered me back then because I never use to have ocd.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I expect you have to wash your hands frequently at work, Phil? Does your boss comment on the amount of time you spend away from the work floor?

I do think you struggle with understanding about anxiety and difficult emotions and it's not surprising that conventional CBT has little impact. I hope your new psychiatrist has more insight into how things appear to be and can be more realistic in terms of future therapy.
    I don’t think they notice as I am usually quick I don’t spend too long washing.

The thing is, phil, it would help if you would talk about your understanding of things like exposure because I'm not the only one who thinks you are viewing it incorrectly for whatever reason. Knowing why helps us explain to try to help otherwise we aren't sure where the issue is.
    I understand it and I hear that you have to touch something and worry less but I’ve tried this and I actually worry more and get anxious. I just don’t believe in exposure Cbt I get it works for some people perhaps they can fully beat it but for someone who wants to manage ocd and limit it I think it’s about limiting situations. For example not flying too often, not touching the car door too often but perhaps doing it occasionally so the ocd doesn’t win. I live in a comfort blanket it makes me feel safer with these behaviours so I find it hard to break. I’ve stopped replacing so I see my ocd on a path of severe to more mild again finally after a year and a half since I moved house.

I just don’t get it.

I understand it and I hear that you have to touch something and worry less but I’ve tried this and I actually worry more and get anxious. I just don’t believe in exposure Cbt I get it works for some people perhaps they can fully beat it but for someone who wants to manage ocd and limit it I think it’s about limiting situations. For example not flying too often, not touching the car door too often but perhaps doing it occasionally so the ocd doesn’t win. I live in a comfort blanket it makes me feel safer with these behaviours so I find it hard to break. I’ve stopped replacing so I see my ocd on a path of severe to more mild again finally after a year and a half since I moved house.
    Exposure is supposed to make you anxious. The more you do it, the easier it gets. If you continue to avoid things (the car door, flying, bins etc), you'll continue to fear them. I know you think limiting the situations you fear will help you, but in my opinion it will just keep your OCD going.

Page 128 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast

Thread Information