Page 52 of 152 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Can I ask a serious question here. I know lots of people have asked you various questions, so you might be busy answering

What do you get from posting on this forum Phil? I'm bemused, as there are people who know about OCD who reply, but you don't seem to follow their advice - like trying to expose and break down habits using resistance to small behavioural elements.

I'm no expert on OCD, and yet your psychiatrist only sees you once a year and you aren't having therapy, which is advised for moderate to severe cases. This must all make you very anxious, and must affect your life, do you want to address it or would you just rather live with it?

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

I think I read earlier in the thread, but please correct me if I am wrong, that you had stopped therapy session as had had a few NHS ones and then went private? The thing is, I am wondering, if you were committed to actually solving your OCD behaviours or not. If you weren't committed then that is why they said 'they couldn't help you/you can't be helped'. It requires the patient to helps themselves. Do you want this sorted out?
    Last edited by Carys; 09-11-18 at 19:06.

It seems to me that on forums-and I'm including the OCD one-as soon as you are challenged you take offence and see it as a personal attack as opposed to a genuine desire to help. It's either your way or no way. I don't see how you can make any progress with therapy unless you are prepared to admit that you may have to challenge your views and persevere with what the therapist is suggesting instead of dismissing therapy as a waste of time and money the moment you feel out of your comfort zone and angry.

I still think that the psychiatrist should be reassessing your diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Can I ask a serious question here. I know lots of people have asked you various questions, so you might be busy answering

What do you get from posting on this forum Phil? I'm bemused, as there are people who know about OCD who reply, but you don't seem to follow their advice - like trying to expose and break down habits using resistance to small behavioural elements.

I'm no expert on OCD, and yet your psychiatrist only sees you once a year and you aren't having therapy, which is advised for moderate to severe cases. This must all make you very anxious, and must affect your life, do you want to address it or would you just rather live with it?

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

I think I read earlier in the thread, but please correct me if I am wrong, that you had stopped therapy session as had had a few NHS ones and then went private? The thing is, I am wondering, if you were committed to actually solving your OCD behaviours or not. If you weren't committed then that is why they said 'they couldn't help you/you can't be helped'. It requires the patient to helps themselves. Do you want this sorted out?
    If it was that easy as follow the advice I would be cured but I’m not. Yes my ocd is severe and I feel talking about it helps rather than bottle it up. That’s all I can really say lots of questions however at the moment I am struggling with the ocd

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It seems to me that on forums-and I'm including the OCD one-as soon as you are challenged you take offence and see it as a personal attack as opposed to a genuine desire to help. It's either your way or no way. I don't see how you can make any progress with therapy unless you are prepared to admit that you may have to challenge your views and persevere with what the therapist is suggesting instead of dismissing therapy as a waste of time and money the moment you feel out of your comfort zone and angry.

I still think that the psychiatrist should be reassessing your diagnosis.
    I couldnt agree more tbh. You say you want to be cured but it is not simple and we all know that.

You need therapy to help challenge your thoughts and behaviours but you appear to be very reluctant to do that.

There is no cure unless you put in the effort, and blaming your girlfriend is out of order.

As far as kids are concerned it would be totally unfair to bring a child onto the scene until you have more of a handle on this.

I’m thinking of resisting selling and rebuying the headphones as I have been using them for weeks and the anxiety has decreased.

I already sold the camera and iPad as the anxiety wasn’t bearable.

If I manage to not replace the headphones is that some hope that the ocd wont always win? I have a lesser anxiety about touching my phone now and then an item as I have been doing this other than my new iPad to avoid further anxiety, the rucksack camera and iPad are all replaced so I hope I will have lesser anxiety I mean I still won’t be 100%. Reason is I can’t afford to replace the phone after spending 1k on it and it’s halved in value.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    I couldnt agree more tbh. You say you want to be cured but it is not simple and we all know that.

You need therapy to help challenge your thoughts and behaviours but you appear to be very reluctant to do that.

There is no cure unless you put in the effort, and blaming your girlfriend is out of order.

As far as kids are concerned it would be totally unfair to bring a child onto the scene until you have more of a handle on this.
    Yes but I had therapy spend over £300 pounds over 7 sessions and was actually worse so yes therapy works for some but a few posters also pointed out therapy therapy doesn’t work for everybody so I was effectively chucking money away as much as I was by replacing stuff. No win situation?

I gave it a go. I also said the meds route is difficult due to the bipolar meds.

A different therapist may work one via nhs that’s not costing. Or eventually like in the past some self help as I have said many a time I have been ocd free or bad very low levels for years priror to me moving house twice.

What bipolar meds are you on, Phil?

What bipolar meds are you on, Phil?
    Risperidone If u know it?

Yes it's an anti psychotic which is used for various conditions. So it doesn't help you on a day to day basis with your ruminations and thoughts?

Yes it's an anti psychotic which is used for various conditions. So it doesn't help you on a day to day basis with your ruminations and thoughts?
    No I’m afraid not I think it’s a mood stabalizer I was on a high dose and was depressed but I got it cut back to what I had when I was 16. I was ten years off meds before I had my last breakdown.

I think they keep me on the med to avoid any sort of breakdown again happening not sure what there long term plans are. He said I can’t have anti depressants though.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    No I’m afraid not I think it’s a mood stabalizer I was on a high dose and was depressed but I got it cut back to what I had when I was 16. I was ten years off meds before I had my last breakdown.

I think they keep me on the med to avoid any sort of breakdown again happening not sure what there long term plans are. He said I can’t have anti depressants though.
    I, along with others here, fully appreciate that your OCD compulsions are very powerful, otherwise you wouldn't spend all this money replacing items unnecessarily. Perhaps your med can be increased to help cope with the mental anguish these compulsions create, but ultimately, you must face them instead of escaping, because when you react and give in to these thoughts, you are delaying and prolonging your recovery.

Therapy should be about helping you deal with this mental pain/anguish with coping strategies, but if that's not happening you have to help yourself. I agree that CBT doesn't suit everyone but you could always focus on a single thread - eg, mindfulness. My point is that you must be actively engaged in finding something that works for you.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 52 of 152 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread Information