Page 102 of 152 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1520

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

  1. #1011
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    44,188

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Well then not sure how we can help to be honest. This is down to you to get proper help with things.
    __________________
    Nicola

    ďDon't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.Ē - Natalie Babbitt

    Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate




  2. #1012
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,179

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    But you do need to act on that advice Phil - not just ask for it and then ignore it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I don’t ignore it but the information doesn’t get through.
    Same difference and end result

    Positive thoughts
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  3. #1013
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,933

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    I get that people donít wash there hands after bins but itís not a world I would choose to live in.
    I think this speaks volumes.

  4. #1014
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,983

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Well atleast I am trying to improve I could simply sit and do nothing and not get advice
    are you? To be completely honest I don't see you trying to improve.... I see you posting on here for 'advice' but never taking any and blaming others for not improving.... I think you want to improve, but you aren't actually trying to do it.... posting on here is part of your OCD it isn't you trying to improve your OCD in my eyes.... to actually be trying to improve you need to be acting on the advice.... not just asking for it.
    __________________
    Emmz xx

    nolite te basstardes carborundorum





  5. #1015
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,453

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Itís because I have put old plungers from the toilet in the bin and old toilet seats so I fear that bin has toilet germs thatís where my fear comes from.
    Therefore if you washed the bin out with nuclear grade disinfectant you are saying your worries would go away. I bet you they wouldn't...people don't worry like this over putting such things into dirty bins that are full of nasty bacterial build up over years. The worst bin you have is the food one, far worse than toilet germs that may or may not be there because food germs definately are in that bin.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  6. #1016
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,453

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    Rather than the think about plane journeys etc, this is fear of contaminitation is where you really need to start.

    You say you cannot afford therapy but you have had nunerous links to free therapy which you cotinue to ignore.
    I agree with this. There is little point addressing minor worries when there are life limiting ones to deal with.

    Why put a plaster on a cut thumb and leave a broken leg?
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  7. #1017
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,453

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes but I have a busy life i mentioned how I go holidays move house work and so on. My ideal world is to have no ocd or anxiety. My ocd only really got bad in the last few years I donít want the thoughts I get. I regularly get these doubts of somebody washed there hands I admit the themes are similar. Itís good I have figured out whatís going on but sadly I need to figure out how best to fix these issues. Anytime I do recover from a worry another one pops along. For the average Joe with no anxiety they donít have to sit and listen to a visualisation or meditation?

    I mean on the ocd forum the people seem to be recovered but on here I am unsure which posters are still suffering or are recovered. I have seen some people recovered from ocd so it seems possible for ocd to not trouble you forever my Cbt therapist seemed to think I would always have it which was why I lost faith in her.
    I'm recovered from most of my OCD, certainly enough to not be bothered by it much anymore. My intrusive thoughts are gone (those that flash through don't bother me at all), my compulsions are gone, the obsessions are mostly gone but I'm vigilant about these as I think they are the last to go and some of them remain as a foundation because as an anxiety sufferer I'm still not fully recovered overall. My GAD is the main problem still and that will keep the OCD foundations there until I sort it.

    I'm going to question any forum where people say they are recovered. Unless people work in mental health it's rare they stick around as they are busy enjoying getting their lives back. The minority will stick around to help others. Recovered people don't stick around on NMP. You might find it's more that they are managing things as pulisa has often mentioned as opposed to the cure side.

    I think you are looking for the cure and this false hope will just keep you trapped. I know I may never get rid of all my issues but that doesn't mean it's not possible and that others don't achieve it. My mindset is that a cure is a nice to have but recovery can be about enough to still live without struggling. I've found those who spend their time searching for the holy grail of anxiety cures will just buy book after book and never really commit enough to one thing long enough.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  8. #1018
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,453

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes but itís a small chance she touched the bin and not washed her hands like 5% vs 95% because the door was already shut so she probably did wash her hands. Itís similar to the letter box issue I worried a letter came from the bin 5% chance but the ocd makes you believe it really did. People telling me to believe that it DID come from the bin doesnít help when they donít know my circumstances and could be vastly over reacting. I get that people donít wash there hands after bins but itís not a world I would choose to live in.
    They are telling you that so you expose yourself to your fears.

    So, if we assume your GF rubbed her hands all around the bin just for the hell of it what is it that has happened? Are you ill? Nothing. All that happened is you worried.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  9. #1019
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,453

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    And there we have it. It sounds to me like you think everyone else should adapt to live within your OCD rules, just like Venus said. That is not realistic, nor will it help you. Your anxieties will just switch to other things, as we've seen with the recent posts about flying, London, and washing machines. Once again, you'll only get on top of your OCD if you choose to face it head on and challenge it. So, did you look at any of the self-help tools people have recommended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I think this speaks volumes.
    Yep, very black & white stuff.

    You want to control your environment which only leaves the foundations for anxiety. Then when someone doesn't conform your rules your anxiety can come to the surface. Therefore any time you are not in your controlled environment you can't stop it because you don't try to adapt. But that's not enough either because you can't accept someone has washed their hands unless you witness it.

    But when do you ever get ill from all this? Have you got some statistics to show us that this scenario is a genuine concern in public health? And how long do those germs live on the surfaces you are worried about (door handles, phone, etc)? Surely public health bodies would be raising concerns about society if this were a genuine problem?

    Every time you touch a door handle you don't know whether the bloke in front of you has just been handling his bits in the toilets. Some people will live with a hand sanitiser in their pocket out of fear of any germs when the human body has spent it's entire evolution being able to handle most of the germs we come into contact with as is evidenced by the fact we aren't all ill all the time.

    You are just trying to validate your fear. How can you treat that if you don't believe it is a problem? You just don't like how it makes you feel but you won't recognise how it's impossible to reduce that while you believe it is justified in it's existence. It's carrying a water bottle around with you "just in case" you need it when you really don't. You need to learn to remove the safety behaviour and apply Adaptive Strategy which could be wash hands when needing to do something that requires additional hygiene e.g. food preparation or if the part of the bin touched is in some way evidently dirty (perhaps mud or food waste on it).
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-08-19 at 02:47.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  10. #1020
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,986

    Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They are telling you that so you expose yourself to your fears.

    So, if we assume your GF rubbed her hands all around the bin just for the hell of it what is it that has happened? Are you ill? Nothing. All that happened is you worried.
    I’ve not replaced the washing machine yet but I am not happy. I mean chances are it has no toilet bin germs on it but the ocd goes with the worst case. Funny thing is I am buying into the fact she never washed her hands but I’ve given no thought to the door handle which if happened would be dirty too. She has told me about 50 times now she washed her hands but that doesn’t convince me. I tried to think why and maybe when she closes the back door at night I don’t trust her to wash her hands but I’m too lazy to check. I have so many other ocds to watch I can’t keep up with every one. So yes she is sincere. If she did touch the bin the machine would need replacing but I don’t want to be replacing when something isn’t confirmed like the letter box issue. This issue is similar to the letter box issue as someone says it was clean and I deny it without proof

Page 102 of 152 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OCD about wash basket
    By phil06 in forum OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-17, 20:58
  2. War Machine...to Basket Case.
    By MikeyJon in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-11, 21:43
  3. Basket case today - not coping :(
    By Lauz in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-10, 02:22
  4. It Will All Come Out In The Wash
    By PLANET in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-07-08, 10:11

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •