Page 141 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1520

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Do you have fun on holiday, Phil?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Do you have fun on holiday, Phil?
    If by "fun" you mean a superficial level of excitement, I think there must be at having crossed off another location/country/item from his wish list. This is NOT the same as agoraphobia where sufferers feel like prisoners in their own homes. Phil's discomfort and moderate anxiety of travelling is secondary to his far greater fear of "missing out" (before it's "too late" etc).

IMO the OCD Beast has its tentacles in every area of Phil's life and travelling is just another compulsion causing him pressure and strife when it should be the opposite.

Yet Phil appears oblivious to all this and even claims his OCD is nearly "cured"

Never Surrender, Comrade

This is what saddens me, KK; I don't ever get the impression that Phil's particularly happy about all these ambitions he'd like to achieve.

KK, in my opinion, veracious and erudite appraisal. (I had to use the word veracious, as I just learnt it lol)
    Last edited by Carys; 05-11-19 at 12:02.

There are lots of people who want to travel, you're right. I'd say they generally want to actually experience the places they go to though, rather than feeling they have to check it off a list. Being in your 30's does not mean pressure. There are plenty of people who decide to travel when they retire. Do it because you want to Phil, otherwise it's pointless.

You do have certain recurring themes, which seem to be germs, solipsism, and travel (New York, Rome, Dublin, trains vs planes). As someone who doesn't like flying but does it anyway, I could give you lots of advice about what helps me, but there's not much point unless you actually book a flight. That bit is totally up to you and your wife. Some people decide not to fly and that's ok too. Some people find travel easy and exciting, others of us find it more difficult. You don't have to go to every corner of the earth to live a fulfilling life.

I do enjoy the travelling infact I get a bigger buzz from visiting well known cities. Problem is this country is ruined since the 2008 recession high streets and boarded up full of charity shops and bookies. I work in a town where all the shops have shut down it’s very depressing. I enjoy shopping and busy places and cities so that’s why I like to get out. There is many more shops in England than Scotland now. Try taking a visit to Glasgow now it’s full of empty shops. Yes it’s addictive travelling but is it ocd? No? Is my ocd cured well it’s better managed I have some flare ups. The travel anxiety flying anxiety is more anxiety based than ocd. Right now my ocd is quite limited it’s more generalised anxiety and life pressure. People say wait until I am retired to travel? Sure but you can’t guarantee good health and being able to walk far ect. I do hope I can still travel when I’m older that said my biggest fear would be me wanting to settle have a family and never travel again. It happens? Sure I don’t want it to happen but funny how people change. I have to push myself as far as possible whilst I have the drive to do so.

I don't mean to be cruel, Phil, and I'm sorry this sounds harsh, but this all seems to be more about appearances than any genuine sense of enjoyment.

Phil, I wasn't saying you should or shouldn't wait until you're retired, just that some people do and just because you're in your 30's doesn't mean you have to have done everything you want to do!

I do agree with others about appearances, and that sort of fits in with wanting to go to more famous places. Glasgow has lots of shops! It certainly didn't seem all boarded up when I was there. Yes, high street shops have been affected by the recession, by online shopping and by out of town shopping centres, but there's still plenty going on in UK cities.

Besides, who in their right mind doesn't think charity shops are fun? I got our current sofa from one - as-new condition, £100 and delivered within 24 hours!

Charity shops are amazing. I'm particularly a major fan of our local Oxfam which also sells some fantastic new fairtrade products. I've bought lots of very nice gifts and unusual environmentally friendly gifts in there.

Page 141 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast

Thread Information