Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Update more ocd to tell theripst

My floor mops are labels one for each room living room and kitchen ect. The labels came off so I have to buy a new one for living room as I don’t now which one is which. As there’s germs from washing machine in kitchen. The local supermarket only sells the one I have in bathroom so don’t want to get confused so it’s a train trip to town today to buy another. Few days ago I bought a new bucket and window cleaning kit as it went near rubbish bags..

My urge to replace won’t go away anytime soon it seems

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Update more ocd to tell theripst

My floor mops are labels one for each room living room and kitchen ect. The labels came off so I have to buy a new one for living room as I don’t now which one is which. As there’s germs from washing machine in kitchen. The local supermarket only sells the one I have in bathroom so don’t want to get confused so it’s a train trip to town today to buy another. Few days ago I bought a new bucket and window cleaning kit as it went near rubbish bags..

Are these steam mops, Phil? If they are (logically think about this) 1. They produce steam agree? 2. What Temp does steam show at? You can answer this! So logically what does that say to you? There's no logic when you say you are buying a new one? As the labels have fell off both is this right?
    Your money is running out fast what are you going to do about it Phil?? ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Are these steam mops, Phil? If they are (logically think about this) 1. They produce steam agree? 2. What Temp does steam show at? You can answer this! So logically what does that say to you? There's no logic when you say you are buying a new one? As the labels have fell off both is this right?
    Your money is running out fast what are you going to do about it Phil?? ATB
    No luckily not as they would be more expensive just your usual mops you run along floor with fresh smelling floor wipes.

But yes money is running out and I’m living on savings have been for a while mostly due to moving but the replacing stuff isn’t ideal as it’s eating away at my funds I hope the theripst can help with this?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    No, not really because it's not like you are painting that area with a colour. It's not tainted. Germs are always on those areas and change, move, etc. That's why you clean & wash stuff to keep them clean.

If you put something covered in muck on the bed then the bed needs a clean to clean the muck off. But that's all that's needed.

The issue here is in your thinking and your subconscious that believes there is a problem. Confronting these feelings, thoughts & emotions as well as teaching your subconscious so that it learns through time & exposure that these issues just aren't that important is how you get out of these issues.

Think about it. You replace the bed itself, rather than clean the duvet or change the duvet, and what happens next time you put your dirty stuff on there.

What does changing a wash basket achieve when days later there is a new one that is now tainted in the same way from dirty washing? Why not just clean the floor with something that kills germs? Why not wipe the underside of the basket down too? Why does the solution have to be a replacement when items can be cleaned? Nothing coming from a factory is ever truly clean anyway, there will be some level of contamination like anything and that's why we clean.
    Yes that’s true but I replaced the bed I’d have to find a different place to
    Put my washing. I googled where people put there clothes they wear twice
    And the most popular was a chair now I did this the chair would feel contaminated.

On another forum I pointed out I wear clothes and touch stuff the moment I remove the clothes and I think “dirty” washing like flicking a switch that’s how illogical my thinking is a minute before I remove them they are “clean”..

My only escape from this is sometimes I forget about these worries or they feel less but some days they seem to cause me more distress.

Again I hope the therapist can help with this ..

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

One of my issues is the solipsism worry keeps coming back had this since April. Seemingly it’s common with depersonalization and ocd.

Question: I saw your post about going on a honeymoon. How does your fiance address your mental illness? How does it affect your relationship? It would seem to me that she would frown upon replacing perfectly good items in the home on a regular basis

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 09-06-18 at 03:25.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Would your fiancée consider attending your therapy sessions with you? Just to reinforce what the therapist suggests when you are at home and in distress? Having support from a loved one could really help you when you feel overwhelmed and alone?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Would your fiancée consider attending your therapy sessions with you? Just to reinforce what the therapist suggests when you are at home and in distress? Having support from a loved one could really help you when you feel overwhelmed and alone?
    She’s always working so not able to come.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Question: I saw your post about going on a honeymoon. Hows does your fiance address your mental illness? How does it affect your relationship? It would seem to me that she would frown upon replacing perfectly good items in the home on a regular basis

Positive thoughts
    She just lets me get on with it she doesn’t really know much about ocd.

She just lets me get on with it she doesn’t really know much about ocd.
    And you're living together I assume? I ask because of all the posts about buying new items, using a roll of TP a day etc. If you're not living together, she's in for a rude awakening based on what I've read here.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

But maybe she should try to learn a bit about OCD in order to help you? She's going to be your wife after all and sadly OCD will play a big part in both your lives. I'm sure she would want to help you in whatever way she can.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But maybe she should try to learn a bit about OCD in order to help you? She's going to be your wife after all and sadly OCD will play a big part in both your lives. I'm sure she would want to help you in whatever way she can.
    Yes good point plus it's extra support for you Phil Try and get her to understand, get her on your side. ATB

There are germs on both mops from both floors. Disinfect the mop bucket with the mop in and that's enough. We used to keep ours next to the toilet due to lack of space (which would be very trying for you) but now keep it outside. If we want to use it, we disinfect it out first.

You are going to have joint finances & liabilities if you are married. You already have joint liabilities living together. So, surely she wants to know what's happening to money that could be better used? The money side is something she can take control of to halt a damaging behaviour until it's addressed and you can be back involved (otherwise it's just avoidance).

---------- Post added at 02:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

Nope, if it were so minor that it could you wouldn't be anywhere near the way you are in terms of your anxiety. It needs retraining and it will go away but right now you end up giving into it so it ends up feeding it.

ERP is going to be crucial to you at first. The more you space out your compulsions and get closer to elimination, the more you will be able to resist them.

Until then, it's the way it is. It would be unrealistic to expect otherwise and your therapist knows this.

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 ----------

Yes that’s true but I replaced the bed I’d have to find a different place to
    Put my washing. I googled where people put there clothes they wear twice
    And the most popular was a chair now I did this the chair would feel contaminated.

On another forum I pointed out I wear clothes and touch stuff the moment I remove the clothes and I think “dirty” washing like flicking a switch that’s how illogical my thinking is a minute before I remove them they are “clean”..

My only escape from this is sometimes I forget about these worries or they feel less but some days they seem to cause me more distress.

Again I hope the therapist can help with this ..
    A chair would be my choice. Well, either than or whatever exercise machine or weights bench I have lying around

All of the items are contaminated with some level of germs at any time hence the need to clean. Yours is very selective and geared towards a tainted feel which I why I asked about Perfectionism before.

Are these thoughts intrusive? Do they just pop up? So, you take off your works clothes, put them on the bed and wham, in pops the thought without you thinking it? If so, I would recommend working on reducing your response to these thoughts because it really does help when you can change your response from fear/negative based to neutral/positive. Whilst this can be worked on with ERP too, anything acceptance based (Mindfulness really helped me) is very useful here but there are other methods in CBT too (your therapist will be trained in them) and whilst the NHS services are less inclined to use them in therapy (from what I've observed on here) a private one may be more inclined to use more of what CBT is for.

Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread Information