Page 58 of 152 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    A tactic I could try here is what someone said to me before keep the items away from me and let my partner use them. So I can use this new iron board and what if I let my partner use the old one for a bit to see how my anxiety is without throwing away right away like delay it?
    I think this is worth trying. It's not the end result but it's a stepping stone towards you keeping the item and using it yourself.

What yo are suggesting here can easily be formed into a exposure hierarchy as seen in ERP. Another step later can be taking the item back and exposing yourself to using it (or just being with it for a while until you can start to use it later).

Yes I mean I wish the thoughts wouldn’t cause me so much anxiety I hear you have to change how your react but it’s very difficult

Im also worried about the colour of the new iron board so that’s taken over my mind. I can keep using the old one and have the thoughts maybe it’s dirty but it’s causing anxiety so it seems even replacing doesn’t help as I feel guilt or worry about the new item I even worried my new camera got dirty but I can’t keep replacing

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Like right now I feel ill and stressed with these thoughts?

Of course you do. It's hardly surprising.

I’m in a bit of a loop with the ocd again it’s another one of those like the camera where replacing it still doesn’t help

So I bought a new iron board and iron and worried about the colour not being safe like superstition ocd. I returned the iron board and my partners iron she got a new one as she uses a different one tonight I got changed and I washed my hands then doubted that I washed my hands so my ocd said more dirty washing germs would come on the new iron board so I went back to a loop where I will let her maybe use old iron board as even using the new one wouldn’t solve all my ocd.

In the past I replace stuff and it teneds to help but given how bad my ocd is I’m at a doubting everything stage another example of this is when my ocd is bad I could take my medication and worry I never took it? Can anyone relate to this where doing a compulsion doesn’t even help?

I know it’s bad I’ve done these compulsions anyway but like it feels like there’s no escape and I could guy lots of irons and never escape the anxiety. Like this happens a lot I was taking towel after towel in a shower one day I took about 5 and after that I realised no towel would feel right that day? Luckily im back to using only one towel

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

http://beyondocd.org/information-for...sion-dont-help

This link says doing compulsions makes them come back stronger is this what is happening?

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

So possibly the only way for me to escape it is another compulsion by returning the iron or not using

Compulsions strengthen the need for the obsession. They are a feedback to the process, part of the cycle. Each time we do them we tell the subconscious that obsession has validity.

Compulsion replacing is tricky. My take on this is it may help if you are able to substitute for one that you can then eliminate. But the goal must be elimination.

For instance, I struggled with light switches & roadside railings. I was struggling with elimination. Instead I would touch the object for longer than normal whilst thinking "I'm choosing to do this and not being forced into it by my anxiety". This allowed me to feel I was taking over control. Prior to this I would be re-touching those objects over & over until it "felt right". This way I could also eliminate my symmetry issues which had me counting the times touched in odds or evens and multiples of them.

It's often described that compulsions are supposed to reduce fear. Whilst this is true I also found the constant loop made me even more frustrated. That resulted in more anxiety. I think when described without lots of detail on the many nuances in OCD there can often be a formulaic representation.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Compulsions strengthen the need for the obsession. They are a feedback to the process, part of the cycle. Each time we do them we tell the subconscious that obsession has validity.

Compulsion replacing is tricky. My take on this is it may help if you are able to substitute for one that you can then eliminate. But the goal must be elimination.

For instance, I struggled with light switches & roadside railings. I was struggling with elimination. Instead I would touch the object for longer than normal whilst thinking "I'm choosing to do this and not being forced into it by my anxiety". This allowed me to feel I was taking over control. Prior to this I would be re-touching those objects over & over until it "felt right". This way I could also eliminate my symmetry issues which had me counting the times touched in odds or evens and multiples of them.

It's often described that compulsions are supposed to reduce fear. Whilst this is true I also found the constant loop made me even more frustrated. That resulted in more anxiety. I think when described without lots of detail on the many nuances in OCD there can often be a formulaic representation.
    Cool that makes sense what substitution could I do before I eliminate though?and yes that feeling of everything being right is part of my issue as I say eventually I would give up and realise it would never feel right. I think I need to try and find some distraction from these thoughts if that’s possible

I seem on an endless loop with the dirty washing today I was out shopping she had the thought all my clothes were dirty. I changed my zipper on the same room as my new crates I got now I worry that’s contaminated and I got another iron I won’t use that so at the moment I’m actually buying more stuff too worried to use it and im using the old iron and iron board but the more I replace something else keeps coming then something else I returned the iron board due to its colour :/

The result is I’m constantly feeling anxious

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I seem on an endless loop....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Serious question Phil.... You really have no intention, are unwilling or unable to really do something to help yourself? This forum is just a blog for your thoughts isn't it?
    Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Positive thoughts
    It’s very difficult to help myself right now I feel so over powered by the ocd

Did you tell the psychiatrist about how bad you felt at your appointment?

Page 58 of 152 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread Information