Page 68 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Personally I like to take people on the forum at face value. I would hate to think that people were digging around for my internet history to validate what I’d written. It’s a deeply personal place, hence why not many of us use our real names. But yes, I know it’s also a public space. And I agree that Phil has often linked to other places he has posted on before.
    Just from my experience, I can and do take the majority of what's posted at face value. The issue arises with serial posters of which there are many. There is a specific pattern and I know you and many others recognize and understand it. When those threads get heated (and they often do) due to repeated efforts to help and advice ignored, it raises a big red flag. A little digging affirms it. These are individuals, that for all intents and purposes, are using forums and the internet to feed their dragon and in some cases, the medium is actually part of their illness. Its as if they can't exist without it. Note how defensive they become when called out on it. The question arises as to why some of the serial posters use this medium as opposed to a personal blog or diary. If they're not going to make an effort to help themselves, then why the public audience? Again, the site is called "No More Panic" not "Feed My Dragon". Its about getting well, not perpetuating the illness. Finally, the admins are very tolerant and lenient here compared to some sites I've seen and I give them all the credit in the world. In particular, the site Phil mentioned recognizes and acts when they see a member and/or thread is doing no good and actually perpetuating the problem. That site, the members and replies were virtually identical to here. The difference is Admin stepped in and stopped the bleeding.

I do get it. The hope is that just one more post with advice will be the one that opens the sufferers eyes. Sadly, the reality is that some who are blinded by the dragon may never see again.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 10-06-19 at 16:33.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ll just leave it there. Thanks for your explanation, I don’t agree with your methods, but it’s not my thread and the OP isn’t here to complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I’ll just leave it there. Thanks for your explanation, I don’t agree with your methods, but it’s not my thread and the OP isn’t here to complain. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's up to Phil whether he wants to discuss that issue on NMP. All I will say is that it reads completely different to what it is and unless he explains it you will very likely all end up jumping to conclusions. The reality is it's all very innocent but it's not for me to explain and I'm not going to say more unless Phil wants to discuss it as it has not been discussed in public. Apologies to Phil for mentioning this, and I will delete this post if required, but I'm concerned given the nature of what was posted that judgemental comments could occur because of how it reads at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Its not the first time its happened......various members have had this happen. I think it should not be allowed in forum rules, but there we go.
    At the charity walk-in groups the policy is not to discuss anything outside the group. It's counterproductive to building trust so people open up. I agree, there should be consent involved. When you consider some of the emotive themes in OCD and ignorance about mental health it makes sense to let someone discuss what they are comfortable with in an environment they understand. Part of that truly can be knowing the people too so it is important that it's kept in house.

I didn't see what Phil posted but if it's on a public site then anyone could see it if they wanted to, I suppose?
    Yeah, if you deliberately go looking for it, then... if you choose to link it back here.....it feels subversive and intended to 'get one up' on the poster.

The truth hurts and can be uncomfortable for a select few but its the truth nonetheless.
    No, its not 'the truth' its an opinion. Opinions should never be confused with 'truth'. Interesting that you term YOUR opinion 'the truth'.
    Last edited by Carys; 10-06-19 at 18:46.

Yes I don’t see the issue posting elsewhere especially on forums for ocd I think the more advice I can get can only help.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes I don’t see the issue posting elsewhere especially on forums for ocd I think the more advice I can get can only help.
    Good for you Phil, I hope you get the help you need somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the more advice I can get.....
    The more you can ignore? What good is chronicling your OCD and seeking reassurance if you're not going to listen and act on the advice? The advice (and reactions to not heeding it) you're getting on the other sites is all the same yet here you are

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The more you can ignore? What good is chronicling your OCD and seeking reassurance if you're not going to listen and act on the advice? The advice (and reactions to not heeding it) you're getting on the other sites is all the same yet here you are

Positive thoughts
    I don’t ignore it I just find it difficult to make changes but I don’t respond to people with personal issues with me.

I don’t ignore it I just find it difficult to make changes but I don’t respond to people with personal issues with me.
    Dozens of people have taken inordinate amounts of time writing well thought out replies which include some well proven methods. Why continue to seek reassurance and advice on forums if you're not going to or just cannot implement them (difficult or not)? From what I see and read, there are many that take issue with this and that list is growing. That said, in this medium, as you obviously know well, there will always be a someone to come along to feed your dragon.

You've had mental breakdowns before. Going untreated, how long before it happens again? Your illness is not getting better and in fact, based on your posts here and elsewhere, its getting worse. You're undertaking a life changing event very soon and the commitment and responsibilities it entails are paramount. If you don't get out of your head and address your illness, you'll be affecting more than yourself and your pocketbook.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 12-06-19 at 14:32.

Page 68 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread Information