Page 78 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Quotes from the NHS website

A short course of therapy is usually recommended for relatively mild OCD. More severe OCD may require a longer course of therapy and/or medication.

These treatments can be very effective, but it's important to be aware that it can take several months before you notice the benefit
    People with fairly mild OCD usually need about 10 hours of therapist treatment, combined with exercises done at home between sessions. A longer course may be necessary in more severe cases.
    You sound like you expect to turn up to a therapist, maybe a couple of time and come out cured with absolutely no effort from yourself..... It does not work like that, You have to cure yourself of your OCD... with the tools which a therapist gives you... A therapist can not cure your OCD... only you can do that with the help of a therapist.

I am guessing that it is the therapists fault that the therapy hasn't worked? They wern't the right fit for you because You didn't come out of the first session cured?
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 28-07-19 at 23:58.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

No I don’t blame the therapist but past few seasons have been more chatting not much about the work I need to do.

My ocd has been focused on those bin germs past few weeks as it had a toilet plunger in bin. I now fear the car door and it could spread. Logically I know it was the front door not back bin was at. I still worry though.

I am unsure which way to go to fix my ocd.

Therapy can be like that. Just like on here there is little to say and in those circumstances your therapist would be better spreading them out more (which mine did as my goals were becoming more longer term).

If you turn up having not moved on anything discussed before it can feel like a waste of money. If you are prepared to be more disciplined in keeping yourself going you don't need a weekly box ticking exercise if that's all they have become. Therapists should be aware of this and not "milk" their clients either.

There are many forms of therapy, CBT is only one and even that is a class of different styles. Therapists try to find what they think will work but it's not always perfect and you may need to look further. So, why not spend some time researching different methods and see if something seems to resonate with you more? But remember CBT is a much larger animal than the stripdown we often see which is ERP and some self help when there are massive areas in CBT like Cognitive Restructuring that are often ignored as they are lengthier.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Also I should add I am not going to therapy now as it failed to work
    If you go to a personal trainer but decline to do the workouts they assign then the personal trainer didn't fail. If you want to improve you have to do the hard things CBT (and many here) have been telling you to do. You continue to refuse to do most of it, or do it once or twice then declare that it didn't work. Recovery from OCD or any mental illness is a long term process, especially when you have been engaging in compulsive behaviors for so long. Your post about the bin and the car and not acknowledging others is just more of the same and all you're doing here and elsewhere is using the forums to journal your anxieties with little or no real sustained effort to make the changes or put in the work needed. If you are going to ignore what we say, ignore what the professionals say, then what do you hope to achieve by posting here?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Dying Swan made the kind of reply I wanted to make, so not much to repeat....thanks lol

Phil you are always looking for a magic wand that is waved over you by someone else. You never seem to understand that work and effort is required for a sustained period of time, this is why therapy 'fails' for you every single time. YOU are the magic wand, your choices, your brain, your practice, your effort, your understanding and your motivation to actually WORK on this.

I am unsure which way to go to fix my ocd.
    It has been repeated over and over and over, here and in other places by many members and admin the types of things everyone has said in the last few threads, and still back to square one. You ignore all advice, have ignored the last set of posts - READ THEM PHIL and REPLY/ENGAGE with them. Do work yourself at home, show effort, determination and know that the key to this is within YOURSELF !!!
    Last edited by Carys; 29-07-19 at 08:52.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Phil - If you cannot relate to and/or engage with others who share similar MH problems, it's also unlikely that you engage at the required level with a therapist. You remain detached and aloof, detailing in a matter-of-fact way your OCD worries while ignoring what others say/suggest/advise. Ditto with your therapist.

It's sad to say that you cannot empathise with others and this reflects on your own recovery because you will not let anyone enter your tiny bubble (with the intention of helping or otherwise).

You have therefore totally isolated yourself.

Never Surrender, Comrade

The therapist said I might always have ocd and there’s is times it may affect me less. Not really great as on ocd forums I hear people who totally recover from it.

The issue is people often say there is no contamination present. I don’t believe this. I fear by touching the item it has contamination and it will spread and stuff needs replacing. I am unsure how best to treat this ocd and belief nothing really sinks in?

The only way to get rid of it is hard work and the willingness to accept you might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Phil - If you cannot relate to and/or engage with others who share similar MH problems, it's also unlikely that you engage at the required level with a therapist. You remain detached and aloof, detailing in a matter-of-fact way your OCD worries while ignoring what others say/suggest/advise. Ditto with your therapist.

It's sad to say that you cannot empathise with others and this reflects on your own recovery because you will not let anyone enter your tiny bubble (with the intention of helping or otherwise).

You have therefore totally isolated yourself.
    Which is probably why the psychiatrist indicated that further NHS therapy would be a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Which is probably why the psychiatrist indicated that further NHS therapy would be a waste of resources.
    Given he sees me about bipolar meds and not my ocd it’s very unlikely as he knows little about me ocd.

Page 78 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread Information