Page 81 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

Re: Can anybody recommend a wash basket?

And I've worked out that £400 is 8-10 sessions. That's not enough for a lifetime of illness. To be cured in two months is unrealistic.
    Phil you could go to New York or anywhere else for that fact but you'll still be fighting your OCD.
    And to fight it on your own is a hard task.
    Ok, if CBT didn't suit you that time, there are other options and different therapists. Another one may be more suited to your needs.
    I am more than sympathetic when it comes to any mental or physical illness, but I personally think you are going about it the wrong way.
    Deal with the therapy first, then live your life!

I'm actually surprised you want to fly to New York with the potential germs on a long flight, the air-conditioning, let alone the hand contact with luggage, tickets, seats, seatbelts, doors and numerous other potentially OCD triggers? Then there's the cabs and hotels when you get there. That's all a long way from touching your mum and dad's car handle.
    If you can get through all that, I'd say you are primarily cured!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Nobody can change your views except you, Phil - the best other people can do is facilitate.

As others have said, you're pushing a lot of responsibility onto unqualified people here, the majority of whom already have their own struggles.

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you ever showed compassion for others on here - after all, this is a fight we're all fighting together.
    I have a phobia of long flights so that’s my reason for not going to be honest. I am struggling just to take my next flight to Dublin and have maybe delayed it until next year.

I have very little germ worry about flying or holidays. I generally have less ocd going on holiday so it’s quite useful to take a holiday.

But tonight I am trying an exposure to touch the door handle and wash my hands that way I can atleast get in the car again

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    And I've worked out that £400 is 8-10 sessions. That's not enough for a lifetime of illness. To be cured in two months is unrealistic.
    Phil you could go to New York or anywhere else for that fact but you'll still be fighting your OCD.
    And to fight it on your own is a hard task.
    Ok, if CBT didn't suit you that time, there are other options and different therapists. Another one may be more suited to your needs.
    I am more than sympathetic when it comes to any mental or physical illness, but I personally think you are going about it the wrong way.
    Deal with the therapy first, then live your life!
    Yes about ten sessions. She told me I could be fixed in about 6-8. Being honest people always say it takes more sessions. If I had about 50 sessions people would still say I needed more. I only went for Cbt due to forum pressure I got help it never worked. So I have to try a new tactic.

You keep on focusing on the specifics, though, rather than looking at the bigger picture.

I only went for Cbt due to forum pressure I got help it never worked.
    YOU don't do whats needed to make it work, Phil. For all we know this therapist said - 'if you do the work I set you, and do it properly...then in 6 to 8 sessions there could be an improvement'.
    Last edited by Carys; 30-07-19 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes about ten sessions. She told me I could be fixed in about 6-8. Being honest people always say it takes more sessions. If I had about 50 sessions people would still say I needed more. I only went for Cbt due to forum pressure I got help it never worked. So I have to try a new tactic.
    Then I question her experience. It's individual, it's not this nonsense IAPT fixed number of sessions they came up with which seemed more about managing patients & waiting lists than sorting them out. They only know averages. To be honest I doubt there is a single person on here who would read your threads and think you would take less than years doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I can say nobody has been able to change my views on dirty laundry or bin and toilet plunger germs. I wish I could see these as non hazardous items but I do sadly. I keep trying to stop these worries
    Why do you think we should be able too? Do you think anxiety can be fixed in the traditional way many physical issues are fixed? It's not a broken leg. How can they change your brain? Science isn't that advanced.

Nobody here can change your views on anything Phil. We're not therapists, and even if we were, it's still down to you to start to resist your compulsions. No-one can do that for you.

£400 on therapy isn't much. How much have you spent on replacing things?

Touch the door handle and wash your hands. Then touch it again and don't wash your hands. Most people don't wash their hands after opening a car door. What's the worst that can happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    Nobody here can change your views on anything Phil. We're not therapists, and even if we were, it's still down to you to start to resist your compulsions. No-one can do that for you.

£400 on therapy isn't much. How much have you spent on replacing things?

Touch the door handle and wash your hands. Then touch it again and don't wash your hands. Most people don't wash their hands after opening a car door. What's the worst that can happen?
    Well I’m glad people think £400 isn’t much. I have spent a little but I actually returned most stuff I replaced past few months so I have not really spent much.

Page 81 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread Information