Thread: my doctor suggested this-does it work?

my doctor suggested this-does it work?

I currently take Lexepro and Klonopin daily. I would really like to start weaning of the Klonopin, however I don't feel that my anxiety is totally under control. Does Pregabalin really help with the anxious thinking?

Re: my doctor suggested this-does it work?

Pregabalin has helped me and other posters to NMP with anxious thinking (generalized anxiety). Its effect is more subtle than benzodiazepines, so if you have been taking Klonopin, you may take some time to adjust. (I'm also under the impression that it is quite expensive in the US - generics blocked until December 2018, although Pfizer has a free/reduced cost program for those who qualify).

Thank you for responding. That's really good to know. It's the anxious thinking I need help with. I do attend therapy/CBT every other week and take Klonopin daily (which I am in the process of reducing). I will talk to my doctor more about this on Thursday when I see her. I'm always scared of severe side effects!

Hi Ethansmom - The side effects for pregabalin usually are not severe, especially if you start on a low dose. Good luck with the doctor - I hope all goes well.

Thank you for responding. Should the pregabalin help me in reducing my clonazepam dosage? That's the goal for me. I just don't want to replace one addicting thing with another, BUT I cannot live with constant anxiety and worrying thoughts for the rest of my life. I want to enjoy life. I have a great husband and a sweet 6 year old boy to take care of. I don't want him to see me suffering. On a side note, I take Lexepro and I do feel that is helping with my mood.

Hi Ethansmom,

I just wanted to let you know I'm on pregabalin and it has really helped my anxiety, I feel a lot calmer, less flighty and jittery. I have had very minimal side effects, just a slight metallic mouth for me. it's been much easier to start than other meds e.g. ssri's. I am taking less diazepam than before too.

My physical symptoms of anxiety have completely gone - and therefore my anxious thoughts have calmed too. I'd say pregabalin kind of blocks anxiety and anxious thoughts, without boosting your mood. So you should find it a good combo with your lexapro. I think I may need to go back on an ssri soon but just want to settle on the right dose of pregab first (I'm on a low dose of 75mg twice a day).

Good luck with it Hun hope the medication agrees with you and you get some relief xxx

Thank you so much Talahina sky! you and hanshan have given me so hope. I need something to block all that anxious thinking and not make me to anxious/jittery. I will bring this up to my doctor tomorrow.

Thread Information