Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My CBT!

Re: My CBT!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Is hoarding OCD though?
    Yes it is its on the cusp according to my OCD group that I have started going to 2 weeks ago
    going to my next meeting tonight in half a hr ATB

Yes, it is:

https://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Hope the group helps, Dave. Not heard of that one, not that I've looked to be honest!

Thanks, Terry. Some of the hoarding "tips" sound very simplistic for a highly complex condition. Very easy for it to get out of hand with no support.

Yes, I agree pulisa. I guess it's one of those where it doesn't seem as big as it would to an outsider and then you realise it's a real problem?

I've often wondered whether hoarding got lumped in and it's closer to Impulse Disorders but the APA & WHO are arguing over whether other Impulse Disorders such as hair pulling & skin pulling should move into OCD. The APA have an OCD Spectrum so they have moved them into that whereas WHO disagree and left them where they are.

So, maybe things will change? I guess it depends on whether it's regarded as "reward seeking" or not. But it's interested that addictions are closeby and I know Dave has talked about kicking gambling & lost loads of weight. I wonder what he thinks as to whether it's about addictive personalities?

But then you read about those hair pulling & skin picking and that seems more about relieving building tension but maybe it exists across both types...but who knows whether some of these labels are even right???

CBT can address hoarding, which Dave has been trying to get yet it seems they are the ones blocking him , but as with anything IAPT I often question how easy it is for a therapist to set some goals in an office and then the real hard work is left to the patient who is all alone the rest of the week. I really struggled with my goals earlier on, I just wasn't ready, but what I do know is if someone was there to give me some gentle prods and perhaps support me through actually doing things, I would have done them. If Dave feels able to do it, he will get success from it, but if he needs someone there the L4 route might help as a nurse can be there to assist (although you know what these CMHT's are like, and if Dave can do the CBT reading himself he could use the nurses for the support and add stuff in himself. You know how sometimes these nurses just keep people afloat rather than help them work on moving forward and it's obvious Dave wants to sort it out).
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 03-11-17 at 02:00.

I can't imagine someone with a serious entrenched hoarding issue being able to overcome this purely by using CBT worksheets. I hope Dave gets a appropriately trained support network to help him tackle this complex and very distressing problem. It may take a while but at least he's on the list.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

I shamefully know nothing about how these various disorders are categorised for treatment. In my book it's what works for you rather than what's written in books as standard treatment. Both me and my daughter don't really conform to set patterns so we just do our own "therapy" and find out what works and what doesn't. I'd hate to be doing CBT worksheets and ticking boxes. I hate how mental health assessment has degenerated to form filling in as opposed to direct contact with relevant professionals.

Thx Folks It's a bit like climbing mount Everest in some ways it takes for ever to reach the summit (goal) and there's plenty of things to throw you off course. At the meeting last night I was advised to have a look at the NICE guidelines which has been sent to me by the person who runs the group and if I don't get the treatment I need then to contact PALS which I will have no problem in doing! I will also contact the well being service who after my telephone assessment in march and was assured that it will would be CBT which I am not receiving. I know it's not going to be enough on it's own and would have to include pratical intervention we are talking a long time of hoarding not just a few months or years decades which is a waste of my life which I can never get back ever thanks every one Cheers

I admire you greatly for always tackling things head on. No head in the sand attitude for you. It's just a shame that services aren't a lot easier to access because it makes things all the more frustrating when you just want to get started on facing up to deep rooted issues.

Hey BigBoyUK, just wanted to echo Pulisa's thought. You really have worked your a** off to get the right treatment and are advocating for yourself. I give you so much credit for that. It's not easy to do. I really hope something helpful comes through for you.

It's a mine field but you have to keep going, many would have given up by now and tbh I haven't got limitless energy and it does get very exhausting feel like a pawn on a chess board lol thank you both for your words ATB

Update: The 'office' CPN decided to come and have a look round my house she says yes I do need support on this hoarding but still does NOT think CBT will help me But is going to have chat with a CBT therapist think they are playing Russian roulete with my mind here I don't like this one bit and will keep pushing for the treatment I deserve ATB
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 23-12-17 at 13:35.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information