Thread: Please help !

Please help !

Hi everyone first time using this app , feel I can’t get any relief! It all started roughly 6 weeks ago I got labyrinthitis which has now brought on anxiety which now leads me to my question , I’m on 25mg of steraline have taken it for only 2 days , first day seemed fine then 2nd day I felt okay and even worked a few hours but later that night I had the worst anxiety it’s ever been like my chest inside was cold and tingly everywhere and I felt sick dry mouth and couldn’t sleep till 5am ! Is this tablet one of those that gets worse before getting better because I don’t think I can hack this but I know I need medication to help me , I just want my life back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Please help !

Hi Sarah,

I am not familiar with Sertraline - I take Escitalopram, which is also an SSRI drug like Sertraline is - but my understanding is that most antidepressants/anxiety meds will make you feel worse before they make you feel better.

Please hang in there if you can! Heightened anxiety, feeling a bit spaced out, drowziness and nausea are all common side effects when first starting meds. I know it feels awful and it is hard to see that you will feel better, but you WILL reach a point of feeling better, I assure you.

Think of it as a dodgy bridge you have to cross over in order to reach your destination. It is rough but you will get there.

Hope this helps.x

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Just found some info for you which may help, Sarah:

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/sertraline/

Hang in there! xx

Hi Sarah
    i'm sorry you feel so rubbish. I've been on 50mg of sertraline for 1 week tomorrow and I have definitely had days where I've felt like that, plus nausea and headaches... not much fun at all. I think these symptoms are very typical.
    I know it is different for everyone but today I definitely feel much better. Still a little nausea but definitely a whole lot less anxious.
    Regarding the trouble sleeping, maybe try taking it in the morning.. I do and haven't had any sleep problems.

Hope you feel better soon x

Thanks so much guys for replying your words really honestly do help !
    I spoke to my doctor she told me to switch it to night time so I’d sleep through the side effects kimmi so I haven’t taken any tablet today , she also prescribed 2mg of diazepam for at night , I’m scared taking new tablets so diazepam scares me but I need to just try these things and ride out the side effects ! Easier said than done tho isn’t it lol I’m glad your getting over your side effects kimmi really hope these tablets help you x

It really can make you feel worse before you feel better. I am restarting lexapro (similar med) and have felt worse than ever. I have been given klonopin to get through the worst of the start-up. I encourage you to take the diazepam ... it doesn't really have side effects , just will help you calm down and hopefully sleep.

It’s such a cruel thing isn’t it ! Like we’re suffering with this and the only way to help us is by taking these tablets that will initially make us feel worse ! Like anxiety etc isn’t bad enough as it is !
    I’m scared to take these tablets tonight but I need to ride this out definitely, thanks so much for replying I wasn’t sure if anyone would write back x

The diazepam will relax you and give you a good nights sleep, I have been on sertraline 50mg for a few months now, the initial first two weeks were hell, it did make my anxiety and intrusive thoughts worse, but eventually the side effects do wear off, I decided to go back to work after being off for two weeks, it helped me a lot, got my mind back on thinking about normal things, I am lot better, wouldn't say 100% but I am getting there and think these pills have helped, but I would say it isn't a wonder pill, you have to force yourself to help yourself too by distracting yourself, listen to audio books, try watching movies, go walks etc, it all helps in the recovery, it has for me anyways.
    You will get your life back, as my gp said, if you had a broken leg would you expect it to be better overnight, it was a good way of putting it, its an illness and takes time, everyone is different.
    Last edited by Brian123; 19-10-17 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
    The diazepam will relax you and give you a good nights sleep, I have been on sertraline 50mg for a few months now, the initial first two weeks were hell, it did make my anxiety and intrusive thoughts worse, but eventually the side effects do wear off, I decided to go back to work after being off for two weeks, it helped me a lot, got my mind back on thinking about normal things, I am lot better, wouldn't say 100% but I am getting there and think these pills have helped, but I would say it isn't a wonder pill, you have to force yourself to help yourself too by distracting yourself, listen to audio books, try watching movies, go walks etc, it all helps in the recovery, it has for me anyways.
    You will get your life back, as my gp said, if you had a broken leg would you expect it to be better overnight, it was a good way of putting it, its an illness and takes time, everyone is different.

Thanks Brian ! Yes I need to force myself to do things and I think this is a problem for me ! I’ve been off work for about 6 weeks all started with a urine infection which then turned into labyrinthitis then the urine infection came back then anxiety struck me harder than it ever has ! I’ve worked at my job 12 years and never been off sick so 6 weeks for me was allot ! So maybe the thought of returning and doing my shift alone is scaring me but your right I need to force myself to do things and take my mind off this horrible anxiety and horrible thoughts ! Cause I do have a bad habit of thinking about the worst thing that could happen instead of thinking “maybe it will be fine “ gonna force myself out of bed and get tidied up , thanks for your words x

Thread Information