Thread: Cough up small amount of blood in morning when brushing teeth.. blood not from teeth

Unhappy Cough up small amount of blood in morning when brushing teeth.. blood not from teeth

Hi all,

I don't think it's an issue but I'd really rather get someone else's opinion on it as I don't want to ignore it and it be something serious like cancer or something! (Yes I've been on google! lol)

So for a few years or as long as I can really remember I always seem to gag in the morning when brushing my teeth.. I think it's a reaction to the tooth paste weirdly!

This causes me to cough quite hard a couple of times (not for long periods)
    however most days when I do this cough I usually bring up a little bit of blood.. we aren't talking about a lot.. and it's mainly mixed with saliva

I use to think it was just from my teeth but I've been looking more and more and can't see any bleeding in my mouth.. and it does 'feel' like it's coming from further down and that it's being brought up..

I feel absolutely fine other than that, and after the cough I'm fine for the day.. don't cough anymore and no other blood that I've noticed etc..

I know people have a morning cough (presume from laying down all night)

So I guess my question is should I worry?
    is the blood an issue
    is my toothpaste gagging normal? anyone else have that?

Thanks in advance

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Cough up small amount of blood in morning when brushing teeth.. blood not from te

It's hard to see bleeding from gums but of course it could be mild irritation of throat etc. Do you smoke? If not, I really wouldn't worry about this unless you see a lot of blood.

However, we can't diagnose here, so if you're still worried, I would consult GP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Cough up small amount of blood in morning when brushing teeth.. blood not from te

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    It's hard to see bleeding from gums but of course it could be mild irritation of throat etc. Do you smoke? If not, I really wouldn't worry about this unless you see a lot of blood.

However, we can't diagnose here, so if you're still worried, I would consult GP.
    I use to get a fair bit of bleeding gums (nearly every day) that's why I assumed it was that to start with
    I don't smoke, and I thought maybe throat irritation but as it's gone on so long I kinda ruled that out

but in that same respect if it's gone on this long and not got worse I am under the same thinking that it's nothing to worry about

but thought I'd ask here in case someone came out with "see a doctor immediately its a sign that your dying!!!" lol.. yes I let my mind run away sometimes lol

I think it probably is from your gums, if you only get this while brushing your teeth, and you just can't identify the area of bleeding. Do you ever get blood when you're coughing at other times? However, maybe speak to the doctor if you really think the blood is coming from your throat or lungs.

Can't comment on the toothpaste gagging, but try not to worry about coughing up the odd bit of blood with phlegm / sputum. Happens all the time to me all the time. I've learned to live with it (for over 10 years now)

Thread Information