Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant searching for breast lumps - causing lumps?

Exclamation Constant searching for breast lumps - causing lumps?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if any of you have ever caused a lump to appear by constantly poking and prodding your breasts?

About a week ago I noticed something on my breast that was probably just normal tissue (after being triggered to examine my breasts by a film that mentioned BC). I became obsessed with it and kept poking it and now it is a clearly palpable lump. It feels smooth but quite hard and moves around easily.

I've heard that constant poking can cause lumps like this to pop up, I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience in order to ease my mind as I can't see a doctor until Friday and I'm unable to concentrate on my university work

I'm only 21

Re: Constant searching for breast lumps - causing lumps?

You need to stop touching them daily, you will never notice a change in your boobs if you do - you are advised once a month to do a breast exam, not dig in your boobs and don't use your finger tips use the 3 finger pad and circle motions.

I know boobs can be difficult to check and can be awkward but you have to remember breast cancer at your age is 0.4% chance of happening.

Where are you feeling this lump too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never ever examine my breasts, this is like a new thing for me (I only started obsessively searching a week ago, no idea why!) I've done the monthly exams in the past and never found anything that's worried me. I think hearing about breast cancer made me anxious about it and then I went searching for something that wasn't there.

I started poking this tiny little thing about a week ago and then I decided to leave it alone, so i did! But today i checked it and it's an obvious lump, however i'm almost certain that I've caused this lump! I just want to know if anybody has had the same experience as me.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

The lump is at the bottom of my boob, at the edge towards my sternum. My mum felt it and said it doesn't feel like its in the tissue, more like its on my chest

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

If anyone has any similar experiences please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by ariana95 View Post
    I never ever examine my breasts, this is like a new thing for me (I only started obsessively searching a week ago, no idea why!) I've done the monthly exams in the past and never found anything that's worried me. I think hearing about breast cancer made me anxious about it and then I went searching for something that wasn't there.

I started poking this tiny little thing about a week ago and then I decided to leave it alone, so i did! But today i checked it and it's an obvious lump, however i'm almost certain that I've caused this lump! I just want to know if anybody has had the same experience as me.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

The lump is at the bottom of my boob, at the edge towards my sternum. My mum felt it and said it doesn't feel like its in the tissue, more like its on my chest

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

If anyone has any similar experiences please let me know!

Are you sure you aren't feeling your rib?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope its 100% a lump, it feels like a marble under my skin, my mum and stepmum have both felt it so I know i'm not mad!! just wanting to know if anyone has ever caused themselves to get a lump, as I think that's the case with me! It wasn't there when I first started poking.

I've never been OCD about breast exams in my life and after this I definitely won't be doing it again!

it also rolls around under my skin which bones don't do as far as i know!

nope its 100% a lump, it feels like a marble under my skin, my mum and stepmum have both felt it so I know i'm not mad!! just wanting to know if anyone has ever caused themselves to get a lump, as I think that's the case with me! It wasn't there when I first started poking.

I've never been OCD about breast exams in my life and after this I definitely won't be doing it again!

it also rolls around under my skin which bones don't do as far as i know!

I don't know if you can create lumps? You could cause something like tissue to swell etc but I'm not sure.

are you due on your period?

no i'm not, I have read a few people on here saying that they have had lumps biopsied that came up because of constant poking, trauma to the breast can cause lumps and I would regard my constant poking as a trauma as it has left my breast bruised and sore to the point where it wakes me up in the night! I really don't think it's anything sinister I just would like to see some similar accounts

no i'm not, I have read a few people on here saying that they have had lumps biopsied that came up because of constant poking, trauma to the breast can cause lumps and I would regard my constant poking as a trauma as it has left my breast bruised and sore to the point where it wakes me up in the night! I really don't think it's anything sinister I just would like to see some similar accounts

If it is that I strongly advise you leave it alone your boobs do amazing things and don't need to be touched all the time, If you leave it alone till next Friday you may notice it even goes.

I wouldn't keep touching it as it will get worse and this will make the anxiety around it worse, also you need to let a doctor feel it when it's a proper state not a swelled one x

yeah i'm definitely not touching it anymore, i have to see a doctor tomorrow for a separate issue anyway so I think i'll just ask him to check it out!

yeah i'm definitely not touching it anymore, i have to see a doctor tomorrow for a separate issue anyway so I think i'll just ask him to check it out!

Good idea, remember it'll more than likely be hormonal etc and made worse by prodding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information